Thread: Help with table saw blade wobble/alignment

Help with table saw blade wobble/alignment

Hello. My table saw recently started leaving burn marks and became more difficult to feed material through. My cuts were square and I had not made any recent adjustments or changes to the saw or blade. I inspected the blade and noticed I had an uneven wear pattern on one side.
    I am not a professional and am not sure where to start in terms of troubleshooting and saw adjustments.
    I installed a new blade in a new zero clearance insert and it is very loud. I assume I can file the insert to reduce the noise but I think I will end up doing the same to this new blade as the old one.
    The saw is a 20 yr old Powermatic 66 5 hp. I put new belts on about a year ago. I cleaned the arbor flange(?) on both sides of the blade to make sure there was no build up. I ensured the arbor was tight.
    Not sure where to go next. I included a picture of the blade for reference. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bearings? If multiple blades exhibit the "wobble" issue, I'd be checking on that. If multiple blades show the same "burning" on cuts, then it's more likely an alignment issue for blade to miter slot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just based on the photo, I would say your main issue is that the blade has collected a little too much sap/pitch and needs to be cleaned. It might be getting dull as well, depending on how much you've been using it and the type of material you've been feeding through it. It could also be possible that something was knocked out of alignment recently, and it would be worth double-checking the blade-to-table and blade-to-fence alignments.

Sounds like a dull and dirty blade. It sneaks up on you sometimes. That blade also has a high tooth count. That will slow down the cut.
    Charlie Jones