Thread: Cyclone modification

Cyclone modification

I have a Grizzly GO703P, 1 1/2 hp 220v machine. Currently it rolls around the shop on its frame and does a good job. I have 4" flex that I drag round as necessary. I never run more than one machine at a time. I've had the shop up for a couple years and have kinda wrapped my head around how I want it to set up as far as benches, tables, equipment, etc and will begin working towards that, if I can ever catch up with the honey-do list from my wife and two daughters. The dust collector is becoming a problem, not operationally, but in my head, noisy, large, etc. The shop has a 10' ceiling, attic trusses and all the electrical down-feeds from the top. I'm considering moving the dust collector up into the attic. I want to break it up. Mount the motor/cyclone unit up top and locate the dust barrel and pleat cylinder down into the shop space. The dust barrel is a snap. The pleat piping would require some fabrication, but I can handle that. The remote control I could re-wire onto the wall or ceiling. The outlet on the unit is 6" and I could run straight 6" about 10-12' and make a drop to the ceiling. I would go flex from that point and move it as needed to the table saw, jointer, planer, etc. When not connected I would hang it horizontally on the ceiling. Do you know of anyone who has taken a perfectly good DC apart and done something like this? My calculations say the unit can handle the lift. I spoke with Grizzly tech and no surprise they were unwilling to comment on a modified piece of equipment, which is fair. What do you think?

Jack, the general idea is sound, but the particular machine you have may not be the best for executing it. I'd be concerned with performance if you substantially increase the length of the dust/hose to the machine. That said, if you keep it to one drop like I think you're suggesting, it will probably work.

Plenty of folks have broken up a bag/canister type DC to setup a small cyclone or other pre-separation type system, but I don't recall anyone posting the specific scenario you detail. I could be wrong about that, however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

According to the manual😳, @4000 fpm with my worst pressure drop lay-out I’m still at 550 cfm. At 3500 fpm and my best PD lay-out I’m at 700 cfm. I have manometers to monitor pressure drop. Biggest factor I think is pleated filter cleanliness. I’ll have to think about this, but I think it will work.

I have my motor in the attic with the cyclone and filters located in the shop. you will increase the static pressure due to the additional piping to and from the cyclone. I agree that you are likely to experience mediocre collection with a small diameter impeller. If your housing will support a larger impeller you culd give that a try and test the amp draw f the motor. That might be too small as well but you might support a little larger impeller to compensate for the additional restriction. I'd probably also try 5" flex for the drop. Any way to lower the pressure will add cfm. you just need enough speed for the chips to make it up the vertical. Dave

PS. You will probably find out that your real world measurements will always be less than you have calculated . There are too many variables in the math ( pipe friction, machine port resistance, pressure drop of the cyclone at various velocities, as well as the filters themselves as they fill ) to be accurate.
    Last edited by David Kumm; 02-16-2018 at 12:17 AM.

David, I agree with everything you said. That is why I put the smiley face next to the "manual" comment. With careful installation and proper sealing of the suction side it should work. It will be a test of whether Grizzly's specs are real world or "pie in the sky". I think I will raise the entire unit into the attic and do a trial before I go to the trouble of breaking the unit up. Are you happy with your set up? If I can make this happen, in your experience is it worth doing?

My set up isn't very comparable. Cincinnati RBE 9 radial impeller with a 7.5 hp motor dialed down to about 16 three phase amps unless I need more cfm over the longer distances. Radial bloweers produce higher cfm at higher pressure than curved but they are loud and less efficient. The noise is slightly reduced but it seems that most comes through the filters. Dave

...and emphatic yes to our systems being substantially different!