Thread: jet 1221vs or Grizzly G0844

jet 1221vs or Grizzly G0844

I'm looking for a table top lathe. I want the biggest swing and motor I can get in a modern design. I'm looking at these two with extensions. The jet has a bigger motor but smaller swing and 3/4" tool rest post.

The Grizz is bigger swing but 1/4 less HP, and has 1" tool rest posts.

Both have wimpy tool rest locks.

What are your thoughts? Is there another I should consider? I cannot use a floor model.

You could consider the NOVA DVR XP...purchase it without the leg set and it's a table top machine but with a 16" swing and a motor that can be wired to 2HP.

I think the NOVA DVR is now the Galaxi or Saturn. The Saturn includes legs. The Galaxi... well it isn't clear. Every reseller seems to include legs. I don't want legs. I don't want to pay for nor store them. Other than that how does the Nova Galaxi stack up? I like the compact motor design.

Just my experience which is not wide.
    You may want to look at the Nova 1624 (Acme says $900 and free shipping, other $1000)
    Comes with legs but throw them away if you don't want them (or make a saw horse).
    It is 1.5 HP and 16" swing.
    It all depends on how badly you want speed by dial. The Nova is 8 speed and only takes about a minute to move the belt.
    I typically only move mine once on a bowl, a few times twice. For spindle work I never change it.
    I have had mine 10+ years with no problems.
    I did buy my daughter the Nova Comet II which is electronic and works well (3/4 hp). After the HP of the 1624 I hope to never go back to a mini myself; I'll gladly give up the minor convenience (to me) of electronic to have the oomph.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Go to the Nova site(http://www.novatoolsusa.com). They show the DVR XP with legs but contact them and see if you can get it without the leg set. The XP is a proven lathe, I've had its predecessor for about 15 years and it will handle anything thrown at it.

Check out the Rikon 70220 at Hartville Tool on sale Feb 16-18 for only $499. That is a really good deal.

Correction: Sale Feb 16 &17 https://www.hartvillehardware.com/pr...ol-sale/events
    Last edited by Thomas Canfield; 02-14-2018 at 11:50 PM.