Thread: jet 1221vs or Grizzly G0844

jet 1221vs or Grizzly G0844

I'm looking for a table top lathe. I want the biggest swing and motor I can get in a modern design. I'm looking at these two with extensions. The jet has a bigger motor but smaller swing and 3/4" tool rest post.

The Grizz is bigger swing but 1/4 less HP, and has 1" tool rest posts.

Both have wimpy tool rest locks.

What are your thoughts? Is there another I should consider? I cannot use a floor model.

You could consider the NOVA DVR XP...purchase it without the leg set and it's a table top machine but with a 16" swing and a motor that can be wired to 2HP.

I think the NOVA DVR is now the Galaxi or Saturn. The Saturn includes legs. The Galaxi... well it isn't clear. Every reseller seems to include legs. I don't want legs. I don't want to pay for nor store them. Other than that how does the Nova Galaxi stack up? I like the compact motor design.

Just my experience which is not wide.
    You may want to look at the Nova 1624 (Acme says $900 and free shipping, other $1000)
    Comes with legs but throw them away if you don't want them (or make a saw horse).
    It is 1.5 HP and 16" swing.
    It all depends on how badly you want speed by dial. The Nova is 8 speed and only takes about a minute to move the belt.
    I typically only move mine once on a bowl, a few times twice. For spindle work I never change it.
    I have had mine 10+ years with no problems.
    I did buy my daughter the Nova Comet II which is electronic and works well (3/4 hp). After the HP of the 1624 I hope to never go back to a mini myself; I'll gladly give up the minor convenience (to me) of electronic to have the oomph.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Go to the Nova site(http://www.novatoolsusa.com). They show the DVR XP with legs but contact them and see if you can get it without the leg set. The XP is a proven lathe, I've had its predecessor for about 15 years and it will handle anything thrown at it.

Check out the Rikon 70220 at Hartville Tool on sale Feb 16-18 for only $499. That is a really good deal.

Correction: Sale Feb 16 &17 https://www.hartvillehardware.com/pr...ol-sale/events
    Last edited by Thomas Canfield; 02-14-2018 at 10:50 PM.

7. I too am looking at the Jet 1221 and Grizzly G0844. What did you decide on?

8. Anyone else care to comment? Grizzly is 500 and the Jet is 850.
    Grizz is 3/4 hp and Jet is 1 hp

I’ve got both brands in my shop