Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jorgensen vs Dubuque Aluminum clamps

I bought 4 Debuques a couple of years ago and they have become my go to's for most work. When I need more I have to use some from the pile. I would buy more but presently can't justify it because I own so many others.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Sorry then, I guess it wasn't obvious enough for me
    I only knew because I have them and went through the same process.

Sorry then, I guess it wasn't obvious enough for me
    Dubuques are all grey, Jorgensen/Pony have orange fittings, HF are grey with light[er] blue fittings, Irwins have darker blue fittings, Bessey have red and/or black fittings, etc.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 02-15-2018 at 4:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Go with the Debuques. The HF's fortified work but, The bother versus just buying a superior product is questionable. I glued up some long scrap strips and milled them to fit.
    What's the Aluminum wall thickness on those HF clamps?

Man, the timing of this forum is sometimes just straight-up UNCANNY. I've been debating for a little while now if investing in *dollars* for some Dubuque clamps (how the heck do you pronounce that name? "Doo-Book"..."Dew-Beek?") was a better choice than investing in *time* for the Pittsburgh (HF) clamps and Paul Sellers-ing them to make them work. I'm very limited in Shop Funds these days so saving some money by spending more time is usually the more attractive option but there's only so far even I'm willing to go before it becomes just easier (and better) to save up and buy better-quality tools to begin with.

Glenn, did you find using a hardwood versus pine at all worth it, in terms of strength/stability? I imagine those were scraps...?
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Rothermel View Post
    (how the heck do you pronounce that name? "Doo-Book"..."Dew-Beek?")
    I grew up not far from there. We always pronounced it "Da-Bewk". The city was named for a Julien Dubuque, a Quebecois settler according to Wikipedia.

Had some Jorgy's. Have a lot of the Dubuques. Dubuques better made, butterfly nut doesn't bother me, but sliding bar on Jorgies did-bent easy if you slightly over tighten. Have looked at HF and Rockler, with the latterappearing well made, but costlier than the Dubuques. The HF? Felt very flimsy.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Rothermel View Post
    Glenn, did you find using a hardwood versus pine at all worth it, in terms of strength/stability? I imagine those were scraps...?

My bad; see below.

It seems pretty stupid that you have to "fix" a clamp that is being touted as being superior. If anything, what you have identified is a a huge deficiency of these clamps.
    I obviously wasn't clear. I should have said "and milled them to fit the Harbor Freight clamps" or something like that. The ones being fixed are the Harbor Freight cheap-o's. The Debuques do not require this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I grew up not far from there. We always pronounced it "Da-Bewk". The city was named for a Julien Dubuque, a Quebecois settler according to Wikipedia.
    I'm from Québec and in French it's very easy to pronounce. Here was have lots of Dubuc but I don't remember any Dubuque.

I own a bunch of those Dubuque clamps and they must see 80% of all my clamping needs. Love the weight.

And let's not forget...The Universal Bar Clamps are made by Dubuque Clamp Works, here in the USA! Get them from "Tools for Working Wood" or "The Best Things" and support a USA dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    And let's not forget...The Universal Bar Clamps are made by Dubuque Clamp Works, here in the USA! Get them from "Tools for Working Wood" or "The Best Things" and support a USA dealer.
    Or, if you shop by price, you may want to check the prices at Coastal Tool, in Connecticut:
    http://www.coastaltool.com/dubuque/b...=G5evcsEY#cart

Not a lot there for Neaderthals, but the Dubuque clamp prices are the best I've found.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

My bad; see below.

I obviously wasn't clear. I should have said "and milled them to fit the Harbor Freight clamps" or something like that. The ones being fixed are the Harbor Freight cheap-o's. The Debuques do not require this.

I agree - the DeBuques don't require the wood inserts - they are plenty robust. However, if you are going to be clamping your Debuques in your face vice like Paul Sellers, then the wood keeps the aluminum (or "aluminium" as the Brits call it!) from deforming.

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    I agree - the DeBuques don't require the wood inserts - they are plenty robust. However, if you are going to be clamping your Debuques in your face vice like Paul Sellers, then the wood keeps the aluminum (or "aluminium" as the Brits call it!) from deforming.
    As I noted in the very first post of the thread, the dubuques have 1/8" thick Aluminum walls. They can take at least O(hundreds) of pounds of compressive load distributed over the width of a bench vise jaw, so clamping them is harmless as long as you don't go totally nuts. Also to completely prevent that sort of deformation your wood insert would have to be *exactly* as wide as the channel, which I very much doubt.

The insert trick is more useful to stop large-scale twisting/racking as seen in the HF clamps.

Awesome, James! I hadn't seen this site before. Great price.
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly