Thread: An alternative approach for a grinding platform

An alternative approach for a grinding platform

I have been looking at various bench grinder platforms but then thought of the following as an alternative low cost approach

TV brackets listed on e bay

I purchaced the bracket example listed below for $7 including post age on e bay uk

http://www.intecbrackets.co.uk/prod/...tb103s?type=14

Please view images below main image for more detailed information
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 02-13-2018 at 8:42 AM.

Interesting concept Brian, but with a weight capacity of only 33 lbs. and the probable transfer of vibration, I do not see it as a good option. I am not sure how you intend to use it, but it doesn't seem to accomplish anything except to possibly raise the grinder a few inches. Tilting a grinder doesn't seem to be necessary nor advisable and the configuration does not seem to permit it to fasten to a wall and support a grinder. Perhaps I am missing something.

But, you are not asking for advice as you have already purchased it, so I look forward to hearing about your experience with it.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a kitcher mixer lift stand for my (to be purchased) Rikon slow speed grinder. It would allow me to mount it under a workbench and when I needed it, to pull it up into position. My wife has one in the kitchen and it works very well and is very sturdy. It is supporting a very heavy Kitchen-aid stationary mixer. It was purchased from a place like home despot or Lows. It is more expensive than Brian's TV stand approach, but I think that it has more possibilities.

John I think you may have misunderstood (or more likely I did not explain clearly) and please accept my appologies

I intendend to use the platform as rest eg similar to the Robo rest

please see link for dimensions

image 5 0f 6
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 02-13-2018 at 11:52 AM.

How do you intend to lock it in position?

I was reading the post that platform would be a tool rest. Brian we need more information about what are doing. My reaction to the photos was that movement in two directions was unnessary and would be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I have been looking at various bench grinder platforms but then thought of the following as an alternative low cost approach

TV brackets listed on e bay

I purchaced the bracket example listed below for $7 including post age on e bay uk

Please view images below main image for more detailed information
    What problem are you trying to solve? - John

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    John I think you may have misunderstood (or more likely I did not explain clearly) and please accept my appologies

I intendend to use the platform as rest eg similar to the Robo rest

please see link for dimensions

image 5 0f 6
    Brian, I think the dimensions are restrictive and will not get you above center on the grinder wheel - at least not while having the platform close enough. In addition, I also don’t like the two axes movement and adjusting the angle is too cumbersome. I do not own Reed’s rest, but I am familiar with it. It is a quality product that is worth the cost. Keep in mind you will be using the platform a lot and ease of use has significant value. Trying to save a few dollars nearly always comes at a price that, in the end, simply isn’t worth it.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John
    Thank you for your post and I agree totally with your comments

I enjoy finding other uses for items and this was the main driving force It is an area of interest I have had since childhood

regards Brian

I think it would work, just need to make up some angle jigs so that it is a quick set up for each chisel.