Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help the Creek

The Google Ads banners here produce revenue when people click on the banners. We currently are only receiving about 5% of the funds we were receiving twelve months ago. Google will most likely drop us from the program soon.

Our internal Sponsors banner ads produce revenue when we patronize our Sponsors. Each of our Sponsors collects the data concerning how many page views their banner ad receives which also helps them to determine if advertising here is beneficial. Sponsor banner views have dropped from over one million per month to about 40,000.

As you can see the problem we are experiencing is catastrophic. Its not just our Contributors or even Members because the majority of our banners were being seen by unregistered Visitors who are now using ad blocking software and that's probably 80% of our problem. Today over 40% of the access here is from mobile devices and vBulletin doesn't feed our banners to mobile users. Converting to Xenforo will solve this issue until someone comes up with blocking software for mobile devices.

If we don't resolve our problems in the next eleven months we won't have any choice than to convert to a subscription based service and I am not a fan of that option.

Larry - Thanks for posting this. As a result, I figured out how to remove the Add Blocker (I think).

I have ads turned on and my ad blockers turned off on my PC browsers. I see the SMC banner ads at the top of the page but the “Google Sponsor” ads within threads are blank. I get the same results with both Firefox & Chrome.
    I see all the ads when I’m reading from my iPad. (Safari)
    Any idea why the google sponsor ads are blank?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't really do woodworking anymore except carpentry now and then and normally only read this General forum. I contribute because I appreciate the moderating and the level of intelligent questions, answers and musings. An oasis amidst a web of controversy.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I'm not sure at this point why the Google banners are not being served properly. I do know that they are not on our local server so we don't have any control over their banners.

I had to turn off the ad blocker twice because I changed the setting but did not scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the "Save Changes" button.

I to have enabled ad's on this site and turned ad blocker off for this site. But all I see is the banner ad's at top of page. I don't see any google ad's
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I can't figure out how to turn the ads ON

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I can't figure out how to turn the ads ON
    In the upper right corner of the page go to "settings"
    Capture.JPG
    Then click on the "General Settings" tab
    Capture2.JPG
    Finally click on the dot that says "Yeas I want to see ads"
    Capture3.JPG
    Then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on "save changes"
    Capture4.JPG
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-15-2018 at 8:04 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hope my small token and allowing ads helps.

OK , I figured out how to turn on the ads....don't know why I didn't see it yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    I don't really do woodworking anymore except carpentry now and then and normally only read this General forum. I contribute because I appreciate the moderating and the level of intelligent questions, answers and musings. An oasis amidst a web of controversy.
    Michael - Thank you, I wish more folks here had your perspective.

Is there any info on how much one person turning on the ads, means to the creek in revenue dollars?

Quite some time ago, (because of a contest they had running) I elected to become a friend of the creek which required a $50 annual donation. I have remained a friend of the creek ever since, as I feel the value is well worth that.

So with turning off the ads, and donating $50 a year, am I ahead or behind in potential revenue?

Just curious.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Blog Entries
    Is it safe to say other sites, not just forums, are struggling with the same issue now that so many folks have jumped on the ad-blocker bandwagon? I did simply because many other sites will have as many as 30 pop up ads per page click, which makes browsing the internet counter productive. I know many YouTube channels are struggling with recent changes by Google with monetization. Thanks for the reminder to pause ad-blocker when surfing the Creek. Hopefully enough Creekers will donate the $6 plus per year to keep this site up and running.
    NOW you tell me...

I just turned ads on and disabled my browser ad blocking for this site. I am seeing the ads now. I don't know how much good it will do if I don't click through. Maybe I will just do that from time to time.

I want to voice my strong objection to using Paypal. My political views and religion are so opposed to those of former CEO Peter Thiel that I won't do anything to support this man or his business in any way.