Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help the Creek

Help the Creek

I have read some postings about SMC and current financial issues. It appears there are many on here who are guests. Also, many are using ad blockers which hurt revenue.

I am a contributor and it is well worth the very small cost. I also turned off the feature which prevents me from seeing ads. I was surprised at how minimal the ads are. There are some sites where the ads take too long to load and are a real pain.

Please support SMC and be a contributor and turn off your ad blocker. If we want the site to continue we need to support it.

What he said.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I don't want to come across as a jerk, but I was all set to support SMC, until I saw that the only payment option available is PayPal. I, for reasons I won't get into here, refuse to use PayPal. Maybe give us a different/better option????

Scott

Scott,

Listed at the bottom of the same page is an address with a statement about to whom and where to send checks. If you don't use personal checks, I'm sure they would take cashiers checks or money orders.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that.

Scott

Thx for the reminder.

I just went in and turned off the ad blocker. I noted that it says that ad blocking is automatically turned on for contributors. I did not know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I just went in and turned off the ad blocker. I noted that it says that ad blocking is automatically turned on for contributors. I did not know this.
    Same here. I have been seeing (since 'contribution') banner ads at top of the page and similar at various points in a thread...so thought ads were enabled??

done...i have no problem with the ads. Thanks for posting!

Reminds me of this thread from December.
    I became a contributor mainly because of the things I've learned here over time.
    Unfortunately, when they move to Xenforo (though way better than IPB) my participation will likely drop off totally. It's not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Unfortunately, when they move to Xenforo (though way better than IPB) my participation will likely drop off totally. It's not for everyone.
    Why would being on Xenforo make a difference for you?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

How does ad blocking reduce revenue? Does SawMill Creek get paid according to views or hits or just for placing the ads?
    If views then unblocking certainly is useful, if otherwise then unblocking serves little purpose. Just asking because I don't know.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Sam, whether for views or clicks, blocking keeps revenue down. Nobody is going to click on a link that they don't see... I'm a regular "blocker", but have lately been white lising sites that I actively appreciate.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

yes, I too have white listed SMC. But a good question: does SMC get revenue from having the ad displayed, or just from the number of clicks on the ads? Curious minds and all that....
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Why would being on Xenforo make a difference for you?
    I was a moderator on a forum that switched to it (admittedly a few years ago now) and the tools were extremely lacking for moderating the place. I wound up stepping down as a result of the conversion to it, and only visit once in a great while to read, even though I use the product the forum is about.

I've been using forums and before that newsgroups since forever, and prefer a non-fluff delivery of content. These new iterations (even Xenforo, created by the former admins/devs at VB) of forum software try to be all puffed up mini Facebooks, with big clicky icons and "conversations" and so on. For me, and it's just my preference, it's off putting.