Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Help the Creek

In house?
    Jim, how much traffic use on the average month, if I might ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    In house?
    Jim, how much traffic use on the average month, if I might ask?
    Keith would have to answer that...but it's a lot.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We used to have software on our server that provided detailed stats but it quit working when we upgraded some other programs. We now use Google Analytic stats.

Generally speaking our numbers have been very consistent for many years now.

These are monthly numbers from our old software:
    Data Transfer 3,120,053,304 million KBytes
    Page Views 130 million
    Files transfered 357,428,444
    We have 40 to 60 thousand unique visitors every day, obviously most are Visitors or Members who don't login.

Our Server Admin monitors the current data from Google.

Thanks, Keith. That equates to roughly 3 TB, so aside from the stress on a single server for a busy forum, well within traffic for an average server within the price range I gave (most have far more, standard). If the database is handled on a second server to offload some of the io consumption (in and out traffic to the CPU, basically) and storage needs, no more than $400-ish would probably handle the load. Cost may climb a bit adding in extra drives or backup space, but that would be a guess.
    Here's one such server: https://www.tailormadeservers.com/or...LT-T420&CFG=12 (someone I use, no monetary interest)
    Drives are a bit small, but can be increased. A ton of RAM. That would be a decent system for a forum this size. Maybe.

Roy, SMC already has state-of-the-art servers that are paid for, for both production and for testing. They are capable of much more traffic than they support today. It's always been hosted in-house.
    --

Didn't mean to upset anyone. Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Didn't mean to upset anyone. Forget I said anything.
    There is no "upset". I was just mentioning how things are setup. At the point where the current servers need to be replaced, I'm sure that Keith will weigh all options...he's pretty good with that!
    --

Please excuse my complete ignorance on this subject, but now I'm very curious as to how much it actually costs to run a website like SMC on an annual basis. $10,000 per year? $100,000? $1,000,000? I honestly have no idea, at all.
    I'm not privy to their traffic stats, but I run a large-ish forum that seems to have about half of the post traffic that we have here. I'm currently running it on rented hardware because I'm actually trying to minimize the amount of hardware I have to take care of in datacenters. It runs $700/year for all of the software, support fees, and hardware rental. We do a donation run every time the cash runs low.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    We used to have software on our server that provided detailed stats but it quit working when we upgraded some other programs. We now use Google Analytic stats.

Generally speaking our numbers have been very consistent for many years now.

These are monthly numbers from our old software:
    Data Transfer 3,120,053,304 million KBytes
    Page Views 130 million
    Files transfered 357,428,444
    We have 40 to 60 thousand unique visitors every day, obviously most are Visitors or Members who don't login.

Our Server Admin monitors the current data from Google.
    Any stats on mobile v. desktop browser types?

Peter, anecdotally, access from mobile devices has gotten "large"...and it's one reason that Keith and Aaron are working toward the move to Xenforo since that forum software provides really good native support for mobile devices, unlike vBulletin. Generally speaking and from my experience helping with multiple forum sites, access from desktop and portable computers has quickly become eclipsed by access from mobile phones and tablets across the board "as it were".
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    move to Xenforo since that forum software provides really good native support for mobile devices, unlike vBulletin.
    Hopefully there will be a way to set a default to full site for mobile devices as I haven't found a mobile website that I can stand. I would much rather have the full site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Runde View Post
    Hopefully there will be a way to set a default to full site for mobile devices as I haven't found a mobile website that I can stand. I would much rather have the full site.
    I don't know what device you are using for mobile, but my Samsung phone and tablet both can permanently have the full site default option using Firefox Beta for Android.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute