Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 amp plugs

Quote Originally Posted by John Bullock View Post
    I was a hospital manager for over 40 years in hospitals and as a department head was responsible for complying with safety rules and subject to sport inspections. Every hospital manager is responsible for assuring that hospital quality plugs are installed and that they meet OSHA and electrical standards. Hospital grade receptacles and plugs can easily be identified by a green dot embossed in the body of the plug or receptacle. In addition to have the identification, records are maintained certifying that such plugs require a minimum effective tension to be removed from their receptacle. This guarantees that a loose plug won't be accidentally withdrawn or fall out of its corresponding receptacle. If a receptacle does not meet the minimum standards for withdrawal of the plug, it must be replaced, even though it is otherwise working appropriately. The last thing that should ever happen is for a patient to be endangered by having a plug accidentally fall out of a receptacle
    That would be very tragic indeed!

Hospital grade receptacles ... require a minimum effective tension to be removed from their receptacle. This guarantees that a loose plug won't be accidentally withdrawn or fall out of its corresponding receptacle.
    That's good to know. For the curious I found this which gives references: https://www.ul.com/wp-content/upload...eceptacles.pdf

It makes me wonder if there are also "hotel grade receptacles" made on purpose with low tension specifications. Several hotels I've stayed in, including a recent stay at an expensive Marriott, have had receptacles that barely held the plugs. I had to delicately support the cable of my phone charger so the little plug/power supply wouldn't just fall out of the socket from it's own weight.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    But you can't plug a appliance that requires a 20A plug into a 20A branch circuit, because if it draws more then 50% of the branch circuits rating then it requires it's own circuit.
    A 20 amp receptacle can accept a maximum cord and plug connected load of 16 amps (table 210.21(B)(2)). I know of no other NEC article that requires an individual branch circuit for an appliance with a full load amp rating over 50% of the branch circuit rating.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That's good to know. For the curious I found this which gives references: https://www.ul.com/wp-content/upload...eceptacles.pdf

It makes me wonder if there are also "hotel grade receptacles" made on purpose with low tension specifications. Several hotels I've stayed in, including a recent stay at an expensive Marriott, have had receptacles that barely held the plugs. I had to delicately support the cable of my phone charger so the little plug/power supply wouldn't just fall out of the socket from it's own weight.

JKJ
    I took a vacation to Cuba and stayed at the famous Hotel Nacional in Havana. They had the standard American 120V outlets - EXCEPT that the power was 220V. That was not a problem for my computer, which can operate on either voltage. But the outlets were so worn the plug would not stay in the outlet. Not just one outlet - all the outlets in the room.

If you go to Havana, avoid the Hotel Nacional unless you just want to experience the history of the hotel. It's ancient and badly needs renovation. There are some modern and really nice hotels in Havana.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

JKJ
    Yes, "hotel grade receptacles" are the cheapest ones that can be found in the aisles of the big box and discount stores.

In home use a receptacle doesn't have many full cycles of something being plugged in and then unplugged on a regular basis. In our kitchen at most the toaster gets unplugged when its regular receptacle is needed for a mixer or Crock Pot. This is usually less than 3 or 4 times a month.

In a hotel the receptacle is likely used by most guests for charging a phone or using a laptop. When vacated the room service staff will likely use it to plug in their vacuum cleaner. If the hotel is doing well, this means the receptacle in some rooms may go through a few cycles every day. Though there may have been a few dollars saved during the construction, it may end up being a more expensive maintenance problem.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The last thing that should ever happen is for a patient to be endangered by having a plug accidentally fall out of a receptacle
    Then why not use twist-lock or other more secure methods?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    I suspect it is because the devices they plug in come with standard NEMA 5-15P plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    In almost 40 years of industrial experience, I've found that we have the most failures with locking receptacles/cord caps compared to straight blade devices.

I've found that "non trades" users fail to adequately rotate the locking cord caps resulting in high resistance connections and failures. Straight blade devices can be verified for proper insertion visually, by non skilled operators..........Regards, Rod.