Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dovetail Saw Recommendations

They might also be learning saw sharpening the next time they go into the shop

In his defense, I put my dad through about the same thing at that age. It had something to do with a slow speed adapter on the 12" Craftsman bandsaw and me being tired of cutting wood at slow speed.

There's a LN hand tool event on March 16-17 in St. Cloud, Minnesota. If the OP lives nearby?

Blog Entries
    The next generation will forge their own path.
    Though many need a hammer blow or two from the forge to find their path.

My father taught my brothers and me about such things at an early age. Though my favorite pair of plant clippers is older than me and may be the reason my father took the time to educate us. They still bear a chip in one cutting edge from when one of my older brothers tried to use them to cut some steel cable. This one pair has out lasted a few pairs bought over the last 45 years or so. The only mark on it is "The Swiss."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have saws from LV, Bad Axe, and LN. My dovetail saw is the LV. A great saw, especially for the money.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    They might also be learning saw sharpening the next time they go into the shop

In his defense, I put my dad through about the same thing at that age. It had something to do with a slow speed adapter on the 12" Craftsman bandsaw and me being tired of cutting wood at slow speed.
    At some point my parents had put a lock on the TV, that disabled the AC power. My brother and I managed to get the lock's box open and hot-wire it (with solder, no less) when we were 8 and 11 or so. I don't want to think about the resulting fire or electrocution hazard. I do remember knowing enough to check with a multimeter and make sure that none of the power conductors were shorted to the metal case.

It took literally months for them to notice that turning the key to "off" did nothing. The best part was that we did the "project" right under the nose of the babysitter.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 02-13-2018 at 2:50 PM.

Another maker that I haven't seen thrown around is Rob Cosman. I have his saw and like it very much. The only saw I have to compare it to is a LV one. For me, the LV saw didn't like to cut at all. Perhaps it was me, but I didn't have any luck with it. I have a badaxe bayonet on order and asked Mark about the stilleto. He said that if I already had a RC saw, he wouldn't suggest I buy his saw.

Blog Entries
    I'm not big on a particular brand, but do like using a Western saw so that the sawdust is pushed away from you. If I were able to adequately sharpen such a saw, I'd use them exclusively. However, since several tries render me helpless in this area, I have to use a Dozuki. While they are wonderful for a great amount of time, I don't like having to clear the sawdust in front of me.

As to the teenager cutting a bolt with the dovetail saw; when I read it, I'm sure I had that same sympathy look on my face as seeing someone get kicked in the family jewels. If you can fix that saw - you are a genius.

I've used the LN dovetail saw for years and couldn't be happier. Great value for the price. I also have the 14" Bad Axe Bayonet saw, and after using this beauty for a while, I'm now lusting after the Bad Axe 12" Stiletto dovetail saw. Mark Harrell at Bad Axe knows more about saw geometry than anyone I've ever met - and his saws cut like they are riding on rails. Great customer service and a top shelf product.

I'll recommend Bad Axe. Have used the Veritas line of saws, and while they are decent, Bad Axe saws are easier to start, easier to use, easier on the eyes, leave a better surface, and very comfortable to use for longer periods of time.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

If you want a pretty good saw and a very good price.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....s-Dovetail-Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    If you want a pretty good saw and a very good price.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....s-Dovetail-Saw
    Yes, that's an excellent price for that saw. Good saw, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Looks like someone may have jumped on it already.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)