Thread: How do you hang tools in your wall-mount handtool cabinets?

How do you hang tools in your wall-mount handtool cabinets?

As my "almost done" wall mounted tool cabinet nears completion, I'm curious what methods you guys have used to hang, store the various handtools i.e., chisels, DT saws, handplanes, gauges, router planes, combination plane , cutters etc....Looking for ideas on how you did it..Thanks in advance..I won't start this last phase until i see your ideas/suggestions....Thanks,
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Pictures are all over Pinterest...

Maybe, but here he will get some advice from people he has come to trust and don’t mind answering or posting a positive response to a well meaning question.

Jerry check out the “Show Me Your Chisel Racks” thread here in Neander.

Here is my shop wall over my workbench. Shop wall pic is the original setup, the chisels pic and the planes pic are (relatively) current iterations.
    The chisel rack is layers of plywood with grooves cut in the appropriate layer for the chisel blades, I am very happy with this setup.
    I chose to lay the planes down on their sides and it minimized the depth needed, never regretted that as it is quite versatile.

ShopWall01.jpg Chisels.jpg planes.jpg

Any questions, just ask away.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Maybe, but here he will get some advice from people he has come to trust and don’t mind answering or posting a positive response to a well meaning question.

Jerry check out the “Show Me Your Chisel Racks” thread here in Neander.
    I understand but he gets all woodworking forum photos...Not just this one...

Here are my two hand tool cabinets. They are kind of based on a collection of cabinets ranging from the Studley cabinet, to ones in Fine Woodworking and The Tool Box book. One thing I would say is that although the Studley cabinet is really cool looking, I can't imagine working out of it all day long with all its hinged layers, trips, slides, and nooks. My first attempt at a cabinet was like that, and I quickly decided I liked more easy access to the tools, and especially returning the tools.

Main Tool Cabinet, with room for expansion on the tops of the doors and the middle left. I really need to put some more holders in for marking gauges and some other tools lying below the squares (in case you are wondering, I did not clean the cabinet for the picture, that is how it normally looks). The cabinet hangs to the right of my Frid bench. When the doors are open, the planes and chisels are within arm's reach of the bench. The top shelf stores project tools, a couple sets of brace bits, some things I probably should throw away, and my draw knife. That is up there mostly so it is out of sight and mind of my kids. Although, considering two of the three are taller than me, I don't know if that will work much longer.

IMG_5269.jpg

Detail of left side chisels and planes. The planes sit on a shim on the front of the cabinet so they don't rest on the blades. A piece of wood guards the ends of the chisels from getting dulled by my knuckles.
    IMG_5270.jpg

Right hand side with layout tools and more planes. I keep my most commonly used layout tools in a drawer in my assembly bench, where they are more accessible from the general shop area.
    IMG_5273.jpg

Saws, brace and bit, Yankee screwdrivers, bradawls, sets, and various bits.
    IMG_5274.jpg

Plane cabinet. This was my original wall hung hand tool cabinet. It proved to be too small, and it was annoyingly complicated to get some of the tools out due to how tightly I had crammed them in, so it got replaced by the larger oak one. It got resurrected as a plane cabinet when I moved into a larger shop. You can see the holes left over from its previous life.

IMG_5275.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Here is my shop wall over my workbench. Shop wall pic is the original setup, the chisels pic and the planes pic are (relatively) current iterations.
    The chisel rack is layers of plywood with grooves cut in the appropriate layer for the chisel blades, I am very happy with this setup.
    I chose to lay the planes down on their sides and it minimized the depth needed, never regretted that as it is quite versatile.

ShopWall01.jpg Chisels.jpg planes.jpg

Any questions, just ask away.
    Mike
    Very nice indeed! One or two of the shelves seem to show some deflection, and a gap at their ends inside the dadoes under a huge load. No problems?

A beautiful world you live in.

Stan

Nice cabinets all. Mine are really boring. I must confess that they are closed storage, and this is deliberate - largely cheap Pine or MDF trimmed in a little Jarrah to spice it up. The tools I use are kept out in the open so they are close to hand. Marking tools are on the wall behind the bench, the bench chisels I am using are in a tool tray also behind the bench. Planes in use are in trays above the bench. There are power routers, H&Rs and other moulding planes, infills, chisels, etc in the cabinets ... hidden ...

There is a nest of cabinets to the left, about 5 steps away ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Shop made fixtures, pegboard backing for easy changes.

Plane Till (60).jpg . Plane Till (53).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ideas

THANKS....Many good ideas already!!! I was primarily interested in how you hang chisels, DT and back saws etc and I saw lots of helpful ways to do that..Many of you protect the ends of the chisels w a thin strip of wood...Looks like you make your own "closing" swinging holders from wood for the DT and back saws....
    Very helpful....I'll continue to check in.....I value and trust your advice....Thanks!!!
    Jerry

Pics

AND thanks for the pics you posted, Glenn, Derek, Mike and Andrew...They are most helpful..
    You all have great shops and tool storage...
    Jerry

Also take a look at the thread in the Workshop section regarding slat shelving.

Very nicely done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Also take a look at the thread in the Workshop section regarding slat shelving.

Very nicely done.
    Hi Matt,

Took a quick look int the Workshop forum and didn't see it. How about posting a link?

tia,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Very nice indeed! One or two of the shelves seem to show some deflection, and a gap at their ends inside the dadoes under a huge load. No problems?

A beautiful world you live in.

Stan
    The plane shelves also run in a groove in the back, so the sag is along the front edge. Till looking at the pics, I had not noticed the sag. No problems so far, but would probably thicken the boards next time, maybe 3/8 instead of 1/4.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!