Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly Tormek look-alike questions

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I
    CBN wheels on these grinders is probably a good conversion. But, then why not just get a slow speed grinder for a little bit more?
    How fast does a slow speed grinder turn? The Tormek I have turns at 90 PPM. The "slow" speed bench grinders I have turn at 1750 RPM. I like the leather honing/stropping wheels for the Tormek, both the flat and the profiled.

Some of the Tormek models run at 120 RPM. https://www.tormek.com/uk/en/machine-models/

I do have a 600 grit CBN on one slow speed grinder and I use it to sharpen certain tools such as big skews since I sharpen those by hand then hone/strop. The Tormek does give a better edge off the wheel but the skews are best sharpened in their jig which is a pain, easier on the grinder.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    You get what you pay for. I enjoy my Tormek, and am not at all sad or hesitant in any way for buying it. I wore down my grey stone, bought the blackstone for my turning tools, and was wearing that out, so I got a CBN wheel and am VERY happy about that. If you do want to save a few precious dollars, see if the available CBN wheel will fit on the Griz and you'll be set.
    I don't even remember how old my Tormek is. If you can afford it, invest. If you have to think about it, save your money and get the Griz. I think I've saved enough money using the Tormek to pay for itself. My turning tools aren't worn away, as the Tormek removes a minimum of steel. Friends of mine have ground the tools down to where they had to buy new tools. If you turn, you do know that the tools are the most expensive part of turning.
    I'm glad you enjoy your purchase and that you get solid value out of it.

But "Precious dollars?" and "If you have to think about it...?"
    I don't know if you meant that the way it sounded, but geez....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think the Tormek is way over priced, much like Festool things. Nicer, yes, but not THAT nice, especially for hobbyists. If the primary use for a sharpener is hand chisels, scissors, planer and other knives, the Grizzly is by far the best value. However, if you have to sharpen often, as in lathe tools, a "slow" speed (1750 RPM) grinder is the better option (if only one sharpener is all you can afford or have room for).

For those that want "the best" and can afford it, why not? You can't take it with you. The friend that loaned me his Tormek jigs is that way. He buys them and then seldom uses them. I think he just collects fine tools. He bought the jigs 14 years ago. I'm not sure they were ever used before i used them. Boxes and tools were pristine like right off the store shelf. I almost felt bad about getting them wet.

However, if you have to sharpen often, as in lathe tools, a "slow" speed (1750 RPM) grinder is the better option (if only one sharpener is all you can afford or have room for).
    I don't quite understand this. When sharpening lathe tools often the Tormek may even make more sense. (That is, of course, IF you sharpen with a jig rather than freehand.)

For example I sharpen my spindle gouges with a jig on the Tormek. Once the desired bevel angle and shape is achieved it is not only very quick to sharpen but compared to a "slow speed" bench grinder only a very tiny bit of metal is removed and the tools last a lot longer. If the support bar has not been moved it only takes about 30 seconds or so to put the gouge in the jig, sharpen and remove from the jig. I take a little longer since for my spindle gouges I also relieve the heel of the bevel and hone/strop the inside and outside. But resharpening is still very quick. If the support bar has to be reset for that gouge it's still a simple and quick operation with the help of a sharpie pen. Or faster and easier, use a gauge to reset the bar to the exact position.

For spindle gouges the actual way I work is even faster. I keep six identical gouges and when one gets dull I grab a sharp one. When all are dull I stop and sharpen them all, reducing any setup time to only the first of the six.

What really saves time and hassle on the Tormek is the CBN wheel. With the water wheel I had to set it up ahead of time and add water to the tray several times as it soaked into the wheel. With the CBN wheel I just sharpen.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I don't quite understand this. When sharpening lathe tools often the Tormek may even make more sense. (That is, of course, IF you sharpen with a jig rather than freehand.)

For example I sharpen my spindle gouges with a jig on the Tormek. Once the desired bevel angle and shape is achieved it is not only very quick to sharpen but compared to a "slow speed" bench grinder only a very tiny bit of metal is removed and the tools last a lot longer. If the support bar has not been moved it only takes about 30 seconds or so to put the gouge in the jig, sharpen and remove from the jig. I take a little longer since for my spindle gouges I also relieve the heel of the bevel and hone/strop the inside and outside. But resharpening is still very quick. If the support bar has to be reset for that gouge it's still a simple and quick operation with the help of a sharpie pen. Or faster and easier, use a gauge to reset the bar to the exact position.

For spindle gouges the actual way I work is even faster. I keep six identical gouges and when one gets dull I grab a sharp one. When all are dull I stop and sharpen them all, reducing any setup time to only the first of the six.

What really saves time and hassle on the Tormek is the CBN wheel. With the water wheel I had to set it up ahead of time and add water to the tray several times as it soaked into the wheel. With the CBN wheel I just sharpen.

JKJ
    OK, maybe for resharpening there is little difference (10 seconds vs. 30 no big deal), and depending on your skill slower may remove less metal. But, when you want to reshape a tool, or shape a raw piece of steel, the Tormek/Grizzly ultra slow speed grinders will be many times slower. At 1750 rpm vs 100 or 200 rpm, it's just simple physics, the stone rotates 9 to 17 times faster, thereby imparting more energy (grind) to the steel. For my $600 -$700 for a sharpening station, it will be for a 1750 grinder with CBN wheels, one-way jigs and a robo-rest. Then I'd add the Grizzly, not the over-priced Tormek, if I felt the need for power honing. But I prefer to do that by hand. Or cheaper yet, a recycled dryer motor and honing wheels that are not overpriced because of the name on the box.

shaping tools

...But, when you want to reshape a tool, or shape a raw piece of steel, the Tormek/Grizzly ultra slow speed grinders will be many times slower....
    Yes, of course. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I use bench grinders for that. I actually have 3 bench grinders in addition to the Tormek at my sharpening station. I use an 80 grit CBN wheel to shape HSS and tool steel. Life is good.

Tormek_CBN.jpg

Like nearly anything else in the shop, the tools you buy and how you choose to work depends on the kinds of things you do, the resources, and the space you have. Every discussion of this type should probably make these things clear up front. For example, I sharpen hundreds of lathe tools for every chisel or plane.

JKJ

If only the majority of us had space and money for 4 grinder setups. I'b be happy with one good "permanent" station.

If only the majority of us had space and money for 4 grinder setups. I'b be happy with one good "permanent" station.
    You can move south and use my shop - you might have to stay in the barn, hope you like llamas.

A few years ago I cleared a spot by the barn and built a 24x62' shop with space for wood, metal (different grinders there), farm maintenance, teaching, and goofing off. I especially like the goofing off part.

JKJ

I have had the grizzly for a couple years, the jigs are not the same quality as Tormek and I have bought Tormek jigs. Also I used a 14mm die and threaded my uprights for an adjustment nut. I only use mine for hollow grinding knives, chisels and plane blades. A few swipes on some Japanese water stones to finish.

Here is a Youtube video comparison of the Grizzly and Tormek machines. I thought it was informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6RjjHn_Qg&t=184s