Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Have a Hitachi M12VC Router?

Anyone Have a Hitachi M12VC Router?

I purchased a reconditioned Hitachi M12VC Router from Big Sky Tools a while ago and am having problems removing bits from the collet. With most routers, tapping the bit with a block of wood was all it took to release it. I've run some emery cloth around the inside of the collet but still have problems removing the bit. It slides in smooth as silk and I'm sure I'm not over tightening the collet. I returned it to Hitachi for repair but the problem persists.
    Other than buying a replacement collet, any other suggestions? If a replacement is needed, what brand do you suggest?
    Thanks for your input.

Before mine died :-( I had the same issue. A couple light taps did the trick.

I have other routers that do the same thing. You have to loosen the collet until it engages the c clip.

I think its due to micro corrosion in the collet. I wouldn't use emery cloth its too rough.

I want to try polishing the collet but I haven't done it yet.

Blog Entries
    Before you insert the bit, drop in a small o-ring or a space ball to allow you to tap the bit further in to loosen it. Works on my big green router.
    NOW you tell me...

I have one and I always have to unloosen the collets twice to get them off. Turn the collet nut to loosen and then keep turning about 1 revolution and it tightens up and keep turning and it then loosens the collet. Happens every time I change a cutter.

I have a couple of routers that don't have self ejecting collets. For them, I loosen collet nut, then lay router down so nut is supported by my bench, then I whack nut with collet wrench, which ejects bit.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I have one and I always have to unloosen the collets twice to get them off. Turn the collet nut to loosen and then keep turning about 1 revolution and it tightens up and keep turning and it then loosens the collet. Happens every time I change a cutter.
    Ditto.....
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

That is exactly how a self ejecting collet is supposed to work...

That's how my old Ryobi worked but not this new one. This router is mounted in a table so that presents a few problems for some of the techniques mentioned.

My hitachi M12V is in a table and I use the original wrench that came with it to remove cutters. Never had a problem doing it in the table.

If you loosen the collet nut until it comes fully off, is the bit still stuck in the collet?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Yes, I can take the collet nut completely off and the bit is still firmly stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    If you loosen the collet nut until it comes fully off, is the bit still stuck in the collet?

Buy a new collet.

Here's what I would do:

http://www.musclechuck.com/portfolio-view/type-12/

I use these on my Porter Cable and Bosch routers. Excellent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Here's what I would do:

http://www.musclechuck.com/portfolio-view/type-12/

I use these on my Porter Cable and Bosch routers. Excellent stuff.
    How do those work in a table where the collet doesn't rise above the table surface? They look very good for handheld routers.

I had a MuscleChuck but returned it. Aside from the fact that it is quite expensive, I didn't like how high you had to raise the router for the T wrench to clear the top of the table when tightening/loosening the collet nut..