Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Show me your chisel racks

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    I like this one as I have the same chisel set and hadn't decided on a holder yet.

Mine is very simple. 1” holes in a board. The handles just catch. Would have to do something else if I had larger chisels I guess (I do, they stay in a drawer, but these are the ones I use the most). Someday I will have time to put proper shelves and cabinets along the wall. Other things further up the list of priorities though.

6027E3AA-C21A-4336-8E4D-6E273A4FB708.jpg

My users are located right where I can reach them, as needed
    Chisels.jpg
    Not pretty,,but works..

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    My users are located right where I can reach them, as needed

. . .

Not pretty,,but works..
    I agree that is pretty important. That wall is right behind me when I work at the bench, so I just turn around and grab what I need. One or two might be out on the bench, but having the storage close to hand makes it easier to keep the bench reasonably clear, which means I don’t seem to have the problems some people describe where their tools are always leaping to their death on the floor.

Mine is temporarily, standard keyholes, sides are reinforced with screws. That was the one I could make in the shortest time.
    IMG_20180627_140044.jpg

However I would like to share chisel rack I saw in that video, one is used by Vsevolod Poltavtsev. I think it's interesting for not having any sockets or holes so it's more generic. It also provides compact storage for a bunch of chisels.
    vsevolod_poltavtsev_1.jpg

for whatever reason, I can't see the photos you've posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Zagubny View Post
    Mine is temporarily, standard keyholes, sides are reinforced with screws. That was the one I could make in the shortest time.
    IMG_20180627_140044.jpg

However I would like to share chisel rack I saw in that video, one is used by Vsevolod Poltavtsev. I think it's interesting for not having any sockets or holes so it's more generic. It also provides compact storage for a bunch of chisels.
    vsevolod_poltavtsev_1.jpg
    Alexander,

I had a couple of chisel racks like those for a few years. You are correct that it provides space for more chisels but, there is that damn but, the chisels tend to "wedge" into the rack making removal of especially the large chisels difficult. I have found with tanged chisels a keyhole type rack works better. For socket type chisels a floored rack like shown would probably work well.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I agree that is pretty important. That wall is right behind me when I work at the bench, so I just turn around and grab what I need. One or two might be out on the bench, but having the storage close to hand makes it easier to keep the bench reasonably clear, which means I don’t seem to have the problems some people describe where their tools are always leaping to their death on the floor.
    That's how I end up using the beaters more and leaving the good ones in the drawer.... They are close at hand - not safe in their box.....

It's sad to say I still haven't got around to building a chisel rack... I keep getting side tracked by stuff like making guitars, fishing, and making a wooden duck with the daughter....

I have a habit, when working at the bench...usually 2-5 chisels are on the bench.....I usually just hang the ones not in my hand, down a dog hole.....unless they are too wide. I merely have to remember which handle belongs to which sized chisel.. Goes the same with screwdrivers, and the scratch awl.

10. Most of my chisels are in drawers. I have a set of site work chisels that have evolved a semi-fitted box after wearing out a few tool rolls. My primary bench is in the center of the shop, so no wall at hand for hanging stuff from. A few steps away though, drawers full of chisels. Bench chisels sorted by width from iirc 2" down to 1/16" or so, carving gouges and related stuff in a less organized state, heavy timber frame stuff and hard-to-categorize. All told prolly 100 count or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    Most of my chisels are in drawers. I have a set of site work chisels that have evolved a semi-fitted box after wearing out a few tool rolls. My primary bench is in the center of the shop, so no wall at hand for hanging stuff from. A few steps away though, drawers full of chisels. Bench chisels sorted by width from iirc 2" down to 1/16" or so, carving gouges and related stuff in a less organized state, heavy timber frame stuff and hard-to-categorize. All told prolly 100 count or so.
    Bridger,

I've seen your shop, 100 count is a few short .

ken

Blog Entries
    I have used a jewelry cabinet the wife was going to throw away for years now. The drawers are lined in valour, some even have slots for individual chisels. The top section does open. I plan to replace the pegs in the doors with magnetic strips, for the chisels in use, replace more of the drawer pulls/knobs.....

Actually many of my chisels, gouges, rasps, floats......are currently in tool rolls as they get moved between the new and old home. Tool rolls have benefits too. Some are also in Festool tool boxes that travel well on a Festool cart/hand truck.

9F89B1A4-D0EF-4478-A0BC-4D2CA4A04513.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 06-28-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Chisel rack? I like it simple. Just some battens screwed to a wooden back panel. It's very adaptable for all kind of stuff and I don't have any problems with it in use.

foto 3.jpg

Not quite finished.

Needs finish and ebony pegs to plug the screw holes used to mount it to the wall.

Birdseye slab is going to be for my handplane collection

It has tapered battens of sorts that are attached with only sliding dovetails “no glue” to allow for cross grain wood movement and also help keep the panel flat top to bottom. The taper is to give the panel a slight tilt off the wall as for the planes to stay put.

1C3392D8-B21D-49FA-A20C-8121177488D7.jpg

F45C20C7-1E9E-4CF5-AB2D-5623638E6889.jpg

1A52CCB0-E209-49FA-AD73-9346984F35F9.jpg

3156176D-553E-42FF-8C91-F742A5F50DCB.jpg

Magnets imbedded in a strip hold blades firmly.

Toolcab9.JPG