Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your chisel racks

Show me your chisel racks

Hey guys,

I need to make a bench top or wall mounted chisel rack and need some ideas...

What is your favorite one you have made? Pix please.

Also - do you do anything differently for socket chisels vs tang chisels. I would hate to find the beautiful socket chisel irons all chipped up after a bout with a concrete floor one morning after the Socket Handle Fairy came for a visit...

Thanks

Mine are in my hand tool cabinet. I like them in a cabinet, so I can close the door when little ones are in the shop. The socket chisels hang on the narrow part of the socket, so they can't fall even if (when) the handle loosens. The tang chisels hang on the handle end; I have never had a problem with handles loosening on them.

I also have a board in front of the ends as a blade guard. Exposed chisel blades are a big pet peeve of mine. It is way to easy to drag a knuckle across one or jamb something into the blade or knock one off the rack.

Chisels.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry about the extra pictures, not sure how they got there, or how to delete them.

John,

Careful what you ask for.

I'll start on the East wall of the shop.

chiselRackEastWallSouth180211dscf2356.jpg

Still on East wall but a little North:

chiselRackEastWallNorth180211dscf2358.jpg

Then in the Sharpening cabinet above. Right door:

chiselRackSharpeningCabinetRightDoor180211dscf2370.jpg

Left door:

chiselRackSharpeningCabinetleftDoor180211dscf2373.jpg

Two more walls to go.

The North wall is behind the main work bench and holds racks for the most used chisels. That's not quite true, The mortise chisels and the Japanese on the East wall also get lots of love. A better statement would be the most used Western bench chisels.

Behind the tool chest:

chiselRackNorthWallRight180211dscf2361.jpg

To the left and above the working tool cabinet:

chiselRackNorthWallLeft180211dscf2368.jpg

Still more,

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Still more,
    Let me guess: You don't have a problem because you can stop buying chisels any time you want?

PS - There are some exquisite chisels in that collection, obviously. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 02-12-2018 at 2:09 AM.

The West wall just has one rack and only a few chisels:

chiselRackWestWall180211dscf2364.jpg

Finally, what happens when you have too many chisels. You start building boxes for them and once in a box they never see the light of day again.

chiselRackBox180211dscf2375.jpg

It is a sickness. You only need a few chisels to build most anything. But I sure do love pre-1933 Marple chisels and Japanese chisels are works of art and everyone needs a few pigstickers and.........

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Let me guess: You don't have a problem because you can stop buying chisels any time you want?
    My name is Ken......

Thanks Patrick, The Freud chisels in the box with the Japanese mortising chisels were the first chisels I purchased back in the 70s along with the Sorby Sash Mortising chisels on the West wall. It has been fun buying and using the different chisels over the years.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 02-12-2018 at 2:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mine is a piece of slatwall with two magnetic tool holders mounted to it to hold chisels, and metal hangers to hold the mallets. The reason I used two magnetic holders is to hold them firmly without them moving every time I bump them. The two holders provide support low and high on the blade. Works like a dream.

I built this chisel holder on the weekend. Does this count?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I like the keyhole-slots-in-a-block racks.

These are rather universal. They'll hold marking gauges, chisels, rasps, small mallets, turning tools and accessories, even glasses.

Hey Prashun,

I can't see your pictures.

Blog Entries
    Good stuff, gents, very good stuff!

I guess I just cannot resist, but I have various racks some are a bit hodge-podge and others are a bit more carefully produced. I have a line boring machine now so I might remake some of the longer racks so that everything is a bit more perfect/perfect. I used it to my the drill bit rack recently and was quite impressed by how nice the result is.

I have storage behind the fusuma for some festool things and I managed to get a craftsman toolbox in there as well and put all of my hardware and odd bits in there, drills, taps, files, etc.

This is from a month ago, but nothing really has changed in that corner.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hmmm..afraid to show my little system..
    IMAG0058.jpg
    Was a section to the right for squares....they have moved out, to allow more chisels in,,,and a screwdriver or three, maybe a rasp...IF you read the build blogs I post, you will see the entire mess ....
    IMAG0063.jpg
    Had this rack for awhile....until I needed the holder for an eggbeater til....so
    DSCF0010.JPG
    I made a "dresser for chisels" that sits under the bench..
    finished.JPG
    And holds all the older, less used chisels...
    DSCF0014.JPG
    Out of sight, out of mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Good stuff, gents, very good stuff!

I guess I just cannot resist, but I have various racks some are a bit hodge-podge and others are a bit more carefully produced. I have a line boring machine now so I might remake some of the longer racks so that everything is a bit more perfect/perfect. I used it to my the drill bit rack recently and was quite impressed by how nice the result is.
    Here in California we have a name for meticulously made vertical racks like that: Earthquake bait.

It's every bit as fate-tempting as having the most blinged-out double-wide in Kansas.