Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LMI Chisels? Good for Paring?

Thanks, John.

Ooooh! Finally something that I'm qualified to comment on.

I would recommend that you talk with Stan Covington.
    Two cherries- gummy, soft, typical german steel
    LMI- gummy, soft, can have a usable working edge, but nothing special
    Pfeil- not impressed. A bit soft. They work though, but not as nice.
    Sorby-- Haven't tried it. I'm eyeing some older ones on eBay, but promised Stan that I wouldn't do any major tool acquisition until I get a girlfriend and get on with life. The old ones seem nicely made.
    Blue Spruce-- the most beautifully made chisel that I've ever had. Blade disappoints me. I will sell in near future.

If you get a paring chisel from Stan, it'll be built sorta like a short pool stick.
    The blade can flex, but it's much thicker than the western chisels.
    Edge retention will be amazing, and it'll sharpen very easily.
    The blade will probably be slightly off-line so the handle can clear.

Another chisel that's worth considering is the bullnose chisel from north bay forge.
    I showed it to the late Gustav Fredell, and he thought it'd make a nice brace carving chisel.
    I haven't used mine yet, since I'm been temporarily sleeping in the living room as renovations are being done.

As you can see here - the LMI chisel is right there in the same range as other bench chisels.

Honestly, I have not specifically needed my long bladed paring chisels on any of my last builds....

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    As you can see here - the LMI chisel is right there in the same range as other bench chisels.
    Ooh, a PhatMax *and* a Buck-of-Borg.

Full disclosure: I have both.

Edit: Is the 3rd chisel from top the new WoodCraft?
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 02-12-2018 at 5:43 PM.

user chisels.JPG
    Users....

Thanks, John. Also for your perspective per actual instrument building. I think I'm just going to go with my old 750.
    Thanks, all of you.
    Steven, nice. What is the fourth from the right?

1/2 wide Witherby....

Thanks..

9. Just ran out to the shop and compared the Heidtmann gouges to the LMI chisels. Same fit, finish, and markings. The LMI chisels aren’t something I would have bought, they just were in with a load of luthier's tools I bought from a guy a while ago. They seem to be essentially flat gouges - edges somewhat rounded. I didn't put them with the rest of my chisels. They ended up with the carving gouges.

If I felt I need for a long chisel, I would use one of the two on the left: Charles Buck 1.25 inch, or Swan 0.5 inch. I suppose you could carve braces any number of ways, and the instrument won’t know what you used.

133E8901-079F-423B-A494-18D4EDA7B62B.jpg
    Last edited by john jesseph; 02-12-2018 at 8:24 PM.

Thanks. The 1/2" Swan is lovely.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 02-12-2018 at 8:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Is the 3rd chisel from top the new WoodCraft?
    Yep. Thats it. Right next to the new Pfeil.....

Nice chisels, guys!

Honestly the reason I have so many in this "collection" (cough) is because I am buying one and trying it out to see how I like it....

Chisels I have tried, like, and would buy more of based on trying them out so far:
    Pfeil
    WoodRiver socket chisels
    Woodcraft green handle chisels
    Stanley made of Sheffield steel
    Buck Brothers - but only because they are very good after rehardening and tempering the tips harder than they come in... Otherwise I wouldn't buy more - they are too soft out of the package.

Note my list doesn't include chisels I haven't tried because I can't say either way in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Chisels I have tried, like, and would buy more of based on trying them out so far:
    Stanley made of Sheffield steel
    So not the PhatMax with the tang that goes all the way through the handle to finessfully transmit impacts from sledge to edge? I'm shocked, shocked.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 02-13-2018 at 8:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    So not the PhatMax with the tang that goes all the way through the handle to better transmit impacts from sledge to edge? I'm shocked, shocked.
    Actually - they are Sheffield steel (they used to advertise EN31 - a UK version of 52100).. And they are way better than I thought they would be. I am seriously considering hacking off the handle + 50lbs of inter-handle steel and mounting the iron on a proper wood handle. They would probably make a decent butt chisel...