Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5" sander owners....you need this.

5" sander owners....you need this.

I've had one of those stiff rubber block sandpaper holder things forever, and always hated trying to pry the top back to get the sandpaper over the little nails. Saw this on an endcap at Lowe's, today - a computer-mouse shaped sanding block with hook&loop attachment for 5" round paper. So you can use the same (or worn) paper from your 5" ROS for hand sanding. And the ergonomics are fantastic. I threw the hard rubber block away.

I can't find it anywhere on the internet, though, despite searching the product code, the UPC code, etc. So hopefully you can find one at Lowe's
    Attached Images Attached Images

My buddy made a similar block for 6" peel and stick discs. Very handy. I could post a picture if you like.

Dan do you have a Lowe’s part number for it?

Quote Originally Posted by sean meltvedt View Post
    Dan do you have a Lowe’s part number for it?
    It doesn't have the "usual" Lowe's part number, and I can't find it on the website. Looks like its 3M part number is "RHST-KIT-SBP", but that also turns up no results.

FYI, not all rubber sanding pads are equal. I have 3 or 4 and generally the 3M ones are pliable enough to allow for easy on off of paper. The HF version is crap.

Blog Entries
    Klingspor's Woodworking Shop also carried them in 5" and 6". I notice they only carry the 6" now(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    Looks the same!

Thanks, for posting this! I’ve been using the 3M Stickit blocks & paper for many years. They are the most comfortable and easiest to change that I have ever run across. But, I hate tossing out expensive Festool disks! I ordered a 6” block.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I really like this sanding block. https://www.amazon.com/Preppin-Weapo...preppin+weapon When discs are worn out I throw them away, not try to use them more. This block uses 2-3/4" x 9" sheets (1/4 sheet). However, I don't use the cheap paper, I buy rolls of D weight paper from Klingspor and it lasts a long time and doesn't tear. I haven't worked out the cost per sheet, but I'd be surprised if it's as much as a 5" disc.

Thanks guys-I have one on the way from Amazon. Should be her by the 20th. (Prime to Alaska)

I have the one Dan posted, bought it at Woodcraft a while back. Grest ergonomics and that wraparound feature comes in handy for tight spaces, inside corners, etc.

Thanks for the info. As far as the stiff rubber sanding blocks, I got one of these awhile back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCwaSmzn6Ag. (I haven't watched the linked video, just showing what I purchased).
    It recently broke (latch) so I bought another one.

I got a couple from Woodcraft in Raleigh, NC. One from the clearance table and one at the regular price. Works well; a great use of hook and loop paper that I already have lots of.

Blog Entries
    I had a pad sander and I had a disc sander, then Harvey took them. I will replace them some day.