Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can someone explain the difference between 36" and 52" fences

I did some checking. I have room for the 52" fence in the garage but not enough to use it. Though not enough to fully utilize it. Still, the plan is to move the saw into the driveway for most cutting so maybe the $100 difference is worth it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    Okay, so stacking work in progress that is about to be cut on the saw is one thing. Some of the responses above sound like people are using their table saw to store tools, shop supplies, etc. on.
    Actually most just have to much chit and running out of places to put it....

I put clamps and routers up for sale this weekend. I can have a shop full of tools or I can have a shop I can work in...

IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg

There is no question that some people want and use 52" fences, but it is also true that some people have no use for the extra length. In a small shop many people, myself included, find the space sacrificed to be worth much more than the extra capability. I have seen more posts asking about cutting down 52" fences, or craigslist posts offering to trade a 52" for a 36" fence than I have seen looking for the other direction, but it could be that nobody expects to find a taker for the opposite trade.

That does not mean you should choose either option, but that it is your specific needs that matter.

I really like the Vega Pro 40 fence that I have -- at 40" it's sort of in-between the 30"+/- and 50"+/- that most manufacturers offer. I have definitely used 36" of capacity several times, and 40" once (to cut the spoil board for my CNC, a piece that doesn't really need the precision of a table saw). I was nervous getting the 40" fence instead of 50", but I'm very happy with what I have from both a capacity and space perspective. Before this fence I had one with 30" capacity and the biggest difference I've noticed (other than the Vega being 100% easier to keep aligned) is that I no longer have to take the fence off for longer crosscut operations -- I have enough room to just push it out of the way.

--Dan

Cabinet backs. Today, I needed to rip 38" for cabinet backs. Glad to have 52" capacity. Otherwise, I'm slowed down with a lesser fence.

Blog Entries
    I rip 4X8 plywood with a straight edge and a sidewinder circular saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schocke View Post
    I really like the Vega Pro 40 fence that I have -- at 40" it's sort of in-between the 30"+/- and 50"+/- that most manufacturers offer. I have definitely used 36" of capacity several times, and 40" once (to cut the spoil board for my CNC, a piece that doesn't really need the precision of a table saw). I was nervous getting the 40" fence instead of 50", but I'm very happy with what I have from both a capacity and space perspective. Before this fence I had one with 30" capacity and the biggest difference I've noticed (other than the Vega being 100% easier to keep aligned) is that I no longer have to take the fence off for longer crosscut operations -- I have enough room to just push it out of the way.

--Dan
    Thanks Dan. I really want a Biesemyer style fence and on SawStop that means either the 36" or 52". The possibility of switching to the Vega Pro or something similar will always be there. So if 36" proves to be a limitation the 40" would be an option.