Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain the difference between 36" and 52" fences

More storage, easier to fit a router table in the extension wing. Sometimes I do use the capacity. Would rather have it the 1% of the times I need it.

Maybe it’s my shop layout but cutting my 52” down wouldn’t gain me any real usable space.

I don't use 52" very often, but I wouldn't give it up for nothing. Its nice having the extra "16" when you need it

I have a 52" Unisaw. I can count on one hand the times I really needed 52". The big table is useful though.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I had a 52" capacity cabinet saw and used it a good bit cutting 4'x8' plywood. I also used a Kreg miter jig with a 48" fence on the right side for crosscutting and so I needed the table over there and it was nice to just run the fence out to 52" without having to remove it and put it somewhere. Now I have a slider and I actually wanted the 32" capacity on the rip fence to gain space in the shop. However, the saw was already set up for 52" and while Felder would have swapped it out at no charge I would have had to wait for the parts from Austria. I went ahead and took delivery of the 52" capacity saw. Felder graciously agreed to swap it out at no charge in the future if I found the the 52" took up too much room. After using it for a couple of months I'm just going to keep it. Turns out with my shop layout I'd only really gain about 10" of space, not the full 20" difference, and I need the room to the right of the blade anyway because I often crosscut plywood at close to 48". In other words, if I had the 32" fence and moved the saw closer to the wall on the right side I'd just be spending time moving it back to be able to cut in the middle of the sheet.

Even more storage space - Delta used to sell the Unisaw with a 96 inch fence

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Even more storage space - Delta used to sell the Unisaw with a 96 inch fence
    you use to be able to get a 144" fence...

If you're using the top of your table saw for storage, at least while you're using it, you need to put some serious thought into shop organization. I do use mine for staging to my sanding table, but that's long after I've cut all parts to size and won't be using the saw again until the next production run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    If you're using the top of your table saw for storage, at least while you're using it, you need to put some serious thought into shop organization. I do use mine for staging to my sanding table, but that's long after I've cut all parts to size and won't be using the saw again until the next production run.
    hard to avoid when you work in a tiny 10x15' shop. My table saw is always stacked up with wood while I use it.

Okay, so stacking work in progress that is about to be cut on the saw is one thing. Some of the responses above sound like people are using their table saw to store tools, shop supplies, etc. on.

Okay, so stacking work in progress that is about to be cut on the saw is one thing. Some of the responses above sound like people are using their table saw to store tools, shop supplies, etc. on.
    My table mainly becomes a scrap pile until I need to make a long cross-cut, forcing me to clear the scrap pile.

Yes, it collects some tools like squares, measuring tapes, screwdrivers, clamps.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll go with the 36" fence as my shop is a garage. Nobody parks cars in there but the lawn mower (riding and push), garden tools, kid's bicycles and my so's auto tools, parts and accessories take up a lot of space. So my space is limited. My plan is to be able to use the saw in the garage but most of the time it will probably be rolled out into the driveway for cutting.

At the moment I only foresee small panels for jigs and shop fixtures. So not a lot of cutting of full size panels. I would have problems transporting full size panels anyway so I usually get things cut smaller for transport in the Xterra.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    The 52" fence also gives you more horizontal space to store things...

Matt
    Yep. Sure does on mine too. Extra workbench for free. Won't trade my 52" fence though

I meant under the table permanent storage, and top of table mid-project-tool-accumulation-area.

I rarely use my fence past 36", but when I need to I'm glad I have it.

If shop space is an issue, its definitely a trade off.

Blog Entries
    Friday I used mine set at 45" to cut a piece of plywood. Used infrequently, but when you need it, it really helps.
    NOW you tell me...