Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain the difference between 36" and 52" fences

Can someone explain the difference between 36" and 52" fences

I can do the math and know the difference between 36 & 52 (hint; its 16"). But can someone explain it in practical terms? What can I do with the 52" that I can't do on the 36"?

about the only thing I see is the 52" will allow crosscutting of a full sheet of plywood or mdf as it can handle 48" to the right of the blade. But I'm not likely to ned that very often. Especially since a full sheet won't fit into my Xterra.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    about the only thing I see is the 52" will allow crosscutting of a full sheet of plywood or mdf as it can handle 48" to the right of the blade.
    Thanks.
    That's the big difference.... along with taking up more shop space....
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I have noticed those points. Additionaly I have noticed (on some saws) the 52" is a "better" fence than the 36". Which I find stinks, because I will likely never have a shop that can fit a saw with a 52" fence. So either I have to downgrade or cut back part of a perfectly good (high quality) fence.

My slider had essentially the equivalent of the 50-52" table to the right of the blade. Only once have I regretted cutting things down by about 16" and since I could deal with that using my track saw, that regret lasted for about 10 seconds. The space I gained with the shorter right side was a lot more valuable to me in my particular shop situation. The cabinet saw I had previously had the full 50-52" right side table and 99% of the time, it was used for storing "stuff".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No, you are not missing anything if you do not need 52" to the right of the blade. There are people that do use that much though. I once worked in a shop in south Florida that had a 5hp Unisaw with the 52" fence. They routinely cut full sheets of 4'X8' plywood in half. They more or less used the 5hp also by ripping 3" thick wood almost as fast as you could push it across the table.

With that said, I have a PM2000 with the 32" rails and it is all I need at home for my hobby and craft work. I break down sheet goods on sawhorses outside the shop (garage) when the need arises.

Bob

For me, 36" is about the longest cut I make. This is for end panels on base cabinets. I break down my sheet goods on a cutting table with shop made saw guide.

The 52" fence also gives you more horizontal space to store things...

I could also see some advantage if you wanted to trim down a 60" sheet.
    If I routinely needed to do these cuts, I'd be taking a hard look at slider options.
    In the meantime, I use a track saw.

I do recommend getting a good fence.And outfeed support is very useful if you want to use more space.

Matt

52 inch fences encourage people to make dangerous cuts ill-suited to cabinet saws.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    52 inch fences encourage people to make dangerous cuts ill-suited to cabinet saws.
    Confusing.....

As a professional I wouldn't have a saw that couldn't handle at least 48" on the fence. We actually purchase a lot of 60" plywood...
    IMG_0795.jpg
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-11-2018 at 8:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I have noticed those points. Additionaly I have noticed (on some saws) the 52" is a "better" fence than the 36". Which I find stinks, because I will likely never have a shop that can fit a saw with a 52" fence. So either I have to downgrade or cut back part of a perfectly good (high quality) fence.
    Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly, Saw Stop all simply supply shorter rails with the same fence. Just curious, what maker is doing this?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    I can do the math and know the difference between 36 & 52 (hint; its 16"). But can someone explain it in practical terms? What can I do with the 52" that I can't do on the 36"?

about the only thing I see is the 52" will allow crosscutting of a full sheet of plywood or mdf as it can handle 48" to the right of the blade. But I'm not likely to ned that very often. Especially since a full sheet won't fit into my Xterra.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
    Hi Marshall

About 6 months ago I went from a contractor saw with 52" rails, which I had used for 20 years, to a Hammer K3 with 31" to the right of the blade (and a 49" slider).

I do not work with ply or MDF sheets, only solid hardwoods. The extra width afforded by the longer rails was wasted, and utilised by a router table. The now shorter 31" is as much as I need on the right of the blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Time to get a ...SAWSTOP. You won't see such difference between the two fences.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Confusing.....

As a professional I wouldn't have a saw that couldn't handle at least 48" on the fence. We actually purchase a lot of 60" plywood...
    IMG_0795.jpg
    Are you saying that you make 48" rips on a slider?

I had a 52" fence that I cut down to 36" (32" usable) to better fit my old shop. Now that I have the space in my current shop, I wish I had the full 52" back. There have been more than a few times it would have been handy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Are you saying that you make 48" rips on a slider?
    I can but don't because I have a left side of the blade .. I think I can go out to 10' on the Altendorf..