Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer vs minimax

Hammer vs minimax

I know there are a couple of different posts out there regarding the difference between the two brands. Trust me, I've read every one!!!

Pulling the trigger this week on a new 10' sliding table saw and I would love to hear any personal experiences people have had with either the HAMMER K4 PERFORM, or the MINIMAX S315 Elite.

I'm restricted to single phase, and I don't really want to get into a phase converter. 90% of the material cut will be sheet stock from 1/2" to 3/4" melamine or plywood.

Some lumber, but nothing to crazy.

Thoughts, experiences, comparisons ALL WELCOME!!!!

Very much appreciated in Advance!!!

Cheers!

Look hard at the heft of the sliding extrusion and the sub base mounting system. The longer the slider, the stouter all the components need to be. You don't want to drop a 100 lb sheet by mistake ( or because you are old and weak like me ) and have the settings affected. You also want a bunch of weight in the base to balance the weight when loaded. Dave

I sold (and used) Minimax S315's for over ten years and was initially going to repy with something to the effect of "you can't compare Hammer to MM Elite" except that looking at this particular Hammer, it looks much more robust than thge rest of the Hammer stuff.

My advice: Buy whichever has the nearest support and service network, regardless of whether it costs more. In other words, if it breaks down, who has a dealership or technician nearest to you? I will add that you can't go wrong with a Minimax S315. One of the best pedigrees and track records in the industry. Really never had problems with them. Best of luck in your search.

Erik

If its for professional use I wouldn't go with anything less the 700 series, the Hammers and the K500 share the same light chassis design and the saws don't hold adjustments well with everyday use. I had a K500S for 2 years before I upgraded. Counterbalance is typically a slab of concrete. The very minimum would the K540 and only because its has the double trunnion of the 700 series.

I'm a very happy S315WS owner. Yes, it's older and yes, it's not quite as fancy looking as the current Elite with the 10.x' wagon. Mine is 8'6". But it's been a rock. As has the company and people I've interacted with over the years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I
    My advice: Buy whichever has the nearest support and service network, regardless of whether it costs more. In other words, if it breaks down, who has a dealership or technician nearest to you? I will add that you can't go wrong with a Minimax S315. One of the best pedigrees and track records in the industry. Really never had problems with them. Best of luck in your search.

Erik
    Words of wisdom.

I went with Hammer because Felder have a corporate dealer in my city, MiniMax had terrible support when I bought mine.

I would have been equally happy with either vendor, however as Erik said, pick the one with support close to you.

regards, Rod.

Chris I just notice you were in Ontario, were you planning on getting the saw from McFaddens if you went with MiniMax?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    Chris I just notice you were in Ontario, were you planning on getting the saw from McFaddens if you went with MiniMax?
    Hi John.

Yes. That was the plan. I was looking at the saw at the wood show in Toronto and in hindsight should have pulled the trigger then. Had a great show discount. I’m going to see how close to that they can get and go from there.

Do you have previous experience with them?

Thanks!!

Seriously checkout who you have to deal with if you have a problem, my understanding is you have to go to SCM directly. Have you ever tried to deal with SCM in Ontario if your a one man show. Mcfaddens merely sells the machines and offer no support except for cashing your cheque. Not saying Felder is going to be any better, to many people I know also have had issues there. Both are extremely good at taking your money.

10. I have a Minimax MM16 /SCM 400P bandsaw and would never buy a Minimax again. It is overrated in the forums. Poor quality castings, fence not 90 degrees to the table, table lock pin loose, cannot tilt table with the throat plate, rust on a new machine and on and on top terrible customer service. The guys in CS don’t have any machine there - they ask you to read the manual so they can understand how the machine looks like or should operate.
    Last edited by Sanjeev Agarwal; 02-15-2018 at 1:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Agarwal View Post
    I have a Minimax MM16 /SCM 400P bandsaw and would never buy a Minimax again.
    No dog in this fight but out of curiosity, where are you located and who did you buy your bandsaw from?

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Agarwal View Post
    I have a Minimax MM16 /SCM 400P bandsaw and would never buy a Minimax again. It is overrated in the forums. Poor quality castings, fence not 90 degrees to the table, table lock pin loose, cannot tilt table with the throat plate, rust on a new machine and on and on top terrible customer service. The guys in CS don’t have any machine there - they ask you to read the manual so they can understand how the machine looks like or should operate.
    Sanjeev, I'd be happy to take it off your hands if you're in the NYC area.

Blog Entries
    I've heard good and bad things about every piece of equipment on woodworking forums. That's one in how many?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erik loza View Post
    i sold (and used) minimax s315's for over ten years and was initially going to repy with something to the effect of "you can't compare hammer to mm elite" except that looking at this particular hammer, it looks much more robust than thge rest of the hammer stuff.

My advice: Buy whichever has the nearest support and service network, regardless of whether it costs more. In other words, if it breaks down, who has a dealership or technician nearest to you? I will add that you can't go wrong with a minimax s315. One of the best pedigrees and track records in the industry. Really never had problems with them. Best of luck in your search.

Erik
    x2.......,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

One general note regarding Felder is that most (if not all) of their machines seem to be built to order so there may be some lead time involved prior to shipping. I was quoted 4 months delivery time for the K-700S slider a while back.