Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help with Table Saw Cut Issues

.003 runout on the face of the flange on the spindle is too much in my opinion. It could be runout because the flange is not flat rather then not running true to the bearings and motor.
    The pictures show that in what is happening to final cut.

Did you clamp the stock to the miter gauge to make sure it isn't shifting during the cut? Is the miter bar loose enough to slide but not wobble in the miter slot?

If the blade is not parallel to the miter slot, it would cut a wider kerf at the bottom than the top, but it would also push sideways on the stock, making the situation more complicated if it shifted, perhaps leading to what you see. Runout should make the kerf wider at the top. You might compare what happens when you clamp to the miter gauge fence, and make the cut guided by either the right or left miter slot.

And check how parallel the blade is to the slot by measuring to the same tooth, while rotated to either the furthest forward or back position. You don't care about the exact distance, only the difference between the two.

I used a dial indicator to set the blade parallel to the miter slot. It is within .005". I thought slop may be the cause in the beginning but the same thing happens with my crosscut sled that has no play at all.

I use link belts on a few machines that just weren't going to get any better through set-up--and they have done a nice job of MASKING the vibrations (think cheap band saw)--but I don't believe link belts would ever "remove" vibrations. In some tools--masking is the only choice at the end. In some tools--Unisaw--a vibration is a sign of a problem and masking it won't remove it.

Just my opinion. I apologize that it sounds harsh, but I learned that lesson.
    earl

I appreciate the feedback. The vibration I had seemed to be caused by V-Belts that were on the saw for the last 10-12 years. Once replaced with link belts the saw passes the nickel test and even a dime will sit on edge. I read a lot of mixed reviews about putting link belts on multi pulley machines but it seems to be the best thing I could have done for the saw.

Last night I decided to remove the tilt lock handle and clean inside the crank wheel. I was able to lock it a little tighter after that. This helped correct the angle of the cuts but didn't eliminate the issue entirely. I'm going to see if I can remove the .003 flange runout next.

You could have a Cuisinart Blade on it and your cuts would be square if your table is straight and true. Maybe nasty cuts, but still straight and true. Your table is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    .003 runout on the face of the flange on the spindle is too much...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Ross View Post
    I used a dial indicator to set the blade parallel to the miter slot. It is within .005"...
    These are both too much.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Regarding the belts. Try a new set of gates belts and play with the belt tension. Mine has the least vibration with the belts looser than I would have thought they should be. No issues with power or slippage either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Ross View Post
    Thank you. I will try some new belts. I had some vibration in the saw so I switched to link belts and they removed the vibration. The runout is in the flange running in and out. From things that I have read .003" is within the tolerance for good cut quality.
    If your arbor flange is 2" in diameter and is running out .003", your teeth tips can be running out as much as .015"
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Assuming you have a flat table I think I would look at the arbor assembly. You say it was replaced in '09, but by whom, and how? Getting rid of the vibration with the link belts just masks the actual issue. I know, because I did the same I was close to the Saw Center in Springfield, MA when I was having problems with my '48 Unisaw. I discussed it with them and disassembled the saw and took the arbor assembly to them for repair/replacement. I got new V-belts, put it back together and it was just so much better and so smooth. Like a new saw, well, with the new motor and electrical.

Typo on the miter slot. It is within .0005”. Arbor flange runout I agree is too much. Going to try to grind that out.

I think saw center did the repair but not sure. I bought the saw last year and the previous owner gave me some receipts from the new motor he put in it and he gave me a receipt from the new starter/switch he got from them. I don’t have the receipt from the arbor rebuilt but I can see that it has the newer style bearings in it instead of the older Unisaw bearings with the extended race. I will probably go ahead and replace the bearings to be safe and I am going to get some new V-Belts as you recommend and see what happens there. Thanks for the info.