Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have you ordered your Bridge City Pencil Making Kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Every time John trots out a new, expensive niche product like this, someone starts a thread like this one about how silly it is. There'll surely be similar threads on other woodworking forums, too. John's been doing this for a long time now so he must know something about his business. If things like his chop stick and pencil makers didn't sell, he wouldn't be making them. The same sort of thing happens with Woodpeckers and their One Time Tool offers. Enough people buy them to make it worth manufacturing them and then investing in development of new one time tools. Threads like these are great for them. Free advertising. It might be that no one from Sawmill Creek will buy a pencil maker from John but maybe they'll poke around the website and find something else to buy. Even if he never sells a single pencil maker, he's already gotten more in free advertising than he has in making the first one and taking a few pictures of it. Clearly he didn't just fall off the turnip truck.
    You're right on all counts Dave.

(But I'm not going to be one of those buyers! I'm not well-heeled enough to spend $600 on a toy. )
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I would never spend this kind of money but thought the Joint Maker Pro is kinda a neat tool.
    http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...maker-pro.html
    I got to see a demo in person at the Popular Woodworking Shop (I think) a few years back.
    I often wondered why they did not make things more affordable. But like one of the other post said above, It seems to be a business model that works.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Doing small production runs, I don't see how the price on the JointMaker Pro could be (profitably) reduced --- certainly all the predictions of Harbor Freight and the like making a cheap knock-off never came to pass.

John started out probably 25-30 years ago, making very high quality basic tools for woodworkers. Back then, I was a fan of most of his stuff, even though I couldn't afford most of it.
    Then, somewhere in the 90's, he took an abrupt left turn to "ridiculousville", and he has been there ever since.
    He has learned probably that the people who know what quality tools are, also know how to find, evaluate, and restore the quality vintage tools.
    Therefore, he had to develop a market, and he went to the "it's insanely overpriced, and just about totally useless for real work, therefore I must have it, because I don't know what else to do with all my disposable income" segment of the market.
    Apparently it is working, he is still at it.
    Too bad, because some of his early stuff was beautiful AND useful. What a waste.
    Expensive gimmicky , and worthless.

Not my cup of tea, but given the amount I've spent equipping my shop compared to the output, I'm not going to nay-say either BCT or any of their customers. I'd suggest that professional woodworkers take the same approach, lest YOUR customers see how dismissive you are on "frivolous" spending.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    ... can even get your name or message printed on them.
    Please don't mention that. I got into big trouble with my 8th grade math teacher for the message I put on pencils. Mr. Ruch, you're not really a rat fink. I was only joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Please don't mention that. I got into big trouble with my 8th grade math teacher for the message I put on pencils. Mr. Ruch, you're not really a rat fink. I was only joking.
    That's a great story! Would love to hear the whole thing....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My understanding is that there was a serious health issue which resulted in the move away from traditional tools using rosewood and tropical woods.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/jo...gner-of-tools/

I'd love to have one of the early tools to use, but for now, am very glad that the small aluminum block plane included w/ my Chopstick Master was so affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's a great story!
    My mom was very upset that she had to take a half day off work to go to my jr. high school principal's office so I could apologize to Mr. Ruch in front of her and the principal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    What interests me is whether anyone buys his "tools" to use as tools? I'm guessing the answer is yes for the Kerfmaker. Much of the rest, though, I have my doubts. Any takers? Anyone out there using a Bridge City Toolworks plane on a regular basis at their bench?
    FWIW - I use my TS-2 Square virtually every time I'm in the shop. It is an attractive, very well made, accurate tool that does what it is supposed to do. I don't remember what I paid for it but I do know I don't regret purchasing it.

This makes me want the Chopstick Master.