Thread: Long Tool Rest for Turning Spindles

Long Tool Rest for Turning Spindles

I have just completed a new tool rest for my Jet mini lathe. I have been using this lathe for tool handles and spindles for tables and chairs for about 10 years. A good friend of mine, Chris Vesper (toolmaker extraordinaire) made a longer tool rest (than the original) for me, but it is still too short, and too inconvenient, for long spindles ...

As you can see, I have the extension bed, and the Jet has been all I have needed for all these years. However, now I am more serious about turning spindles for legs ... and at this point those who get to this point all seem to build a longer tool rest.

I tried to find another banjo to pair with the Jet one, but there is simply nothing available used, and a new one is nearly as much as the lathe cost me! So I decided to build it all.

The fence is made of Jarrah, which is very hard and heavy, and is capped with a 5/8" mild steel tube.

The Jarrah rail is tapered, and the tube is set into a hollow ...

The banjos are also Jarrah, and adjustable for height and able to slide back-and-forth. The curve under the rail is not just for aesthetics, but also enables a hand to reach inside for adjustments ...

While I was at it, I took the time to reorganise my chisels for easier access ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I made a couple where I used A2 drill rod and epoxied it to metal bar stock. Smaller diameter, so you can stay closer to the work, and harder than most bar stock even if it hasn't been hardened. That is a good set up you did, and looks like you had fun doing it..

robo hippy

Much prettier than my 6 ft. wooden tool rest, and I am sure more stable. Good job.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Pretty slick rig Derek. Excellent workmanship for sure.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Smart thinking and great execution. Most folks want to buy everything--well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I made a couple where I used A2 drill rod and epoxied it to metal bar stock. Smaller diameter, so you can stay closer to the work, and harder than most bar stock even if it hasn't been hardened. That is a good set up you did, and looks like you had fun doing it..

robo hippy
    The A2 is a great idea, Reed. the only concern I have about the mild steel tube is how dent resistant it will be. Time will tell (I am about to turn several long stool legs), but the tube is easy to replace.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks great, I like to make as many of my tools as I can. A lot of satisfaction comes from custom building something for the shop that works well and looks good too.

Jay Mullins