Thread: Polishing arm-r-seal

Polishing arm-r-seal

Im wondering if polishing out a table top is a good idea. I have a white oak slab table I'm making for our conference room. It's about 42x98.

I have applied the sixth and last light coat of arm r seal satin. Sanded between coats with worn 320. It looks pretty good and has a pretty even sheen.

I have polishing pads in 1000-4000 grit. But I don't know the best process to use them. Dry or wet? If wet water or thinner? Any advise appreciated.

The pic below is after the first coat for reference.

Is it worth it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neil Gaskin; 02-10-2018 at 11:41 PM.

What would the purpose of polishing be? It looks fine to me as is. Also, since oak pores are so deep, whatever you to do the surface will miss the finish that filled the pores and is therefore below the surface.

I would have started with gloss had I wanted to rub it out. Also, as mentioned, the pores need to be completely filled or they will have a different sheen than what gets rubbed. In any case, I use water with a little dish soap in it to lube the sanding pad. I've had good luck with Arm-R-Seal starting with 800 or 1000 grit paper on my ROS, going up to 2000, and then using auto rubbing/polishing compound (Triple Cut) on a buffing pad.

John

To even out the sheen. I filled the pours prior to sealing.