Thread: Spoon carving tools.

Spoon carving tools.

Like to try my hand at spoon carving.
    I see there is a set available like this.
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...ingaspoon.html
    I already own a bunch of carving knives. Don't need the wood in the kit. If I am going to spend $100 for a kit would rather spend the $100 on a quality tool(s).
    What size tools do you recommend for someone to get started?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Like to try my hand at spoon carving.
    I see there is a set available like this.
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...ingaspoon.html
    I already own a bunch of carving knives. Don't need the wood in the kit. If I am going to spend $100 for a kit would rather spend the $100 on a quality tool(s).
    What size tools do you recommend for someone to get started?
    I'm far from an expert. I think you should chose the technique you intend to pursue and that will show you the tools you need. I've been watching the demos of Jarrod Stone Dahl, Robin Wood, Jo Jo Wood, (and Peter Follansbee, when he does spoons), and they primarily use a carving axe (hatchet in American), a Sloyd Knife (e.g. MoraKniv Frost #106), and one, or more, hook knives. They use those for roughing, general shaping and outside curves, and inside curves, respectively. But I know others, using other techniques, use gouges, chip carving knives, and I'm sure other tools.

Blog Entries
    Last year I would have sent you to Country Workshops, unfortunately it is now closed. The link below will take you to a Country Workshops archieve. Drew use to sell tools he imported from Sweden from custom makers. I believe other place(s) have picked up those tools and still offers them, there may be a link in the archieve. You may be able to buy Hans Karlson or Svante Djarv tools direct or from English Woodworking tool sellers as well. There are people who carve spoons with smaller axes too.

http://www.drewlangsner.com/cw/
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-11-2018 at 8:07 AM.

From your post, wanting to "try your hand" at spoon carving, I would caution against buying anything special before giving it a whirl. I've no idea what currently resides in your tool kit, but I would recommend making a spoon or two with whatever gouges you have on hand, assuming you have a gouge or 2. Unless you're making a deep ladle, you're not going to be removing that much wood, and after making 1 or 2, you may decide you've had enough fun. Just a thought to consider. An elliptical card scraper can be quite handy in smoothing out a spoon. My future son-in-law makes spoons all the time when he's in my shop, and he uses what I have on hand, which is gouges and scraper. They turn out quite nice.
    Jeff

Dave, I bought my granddaughter some spoon carving tools from Deepwoods Ventures. I got her a straight knife and a right hand curved knife and a left hand curved knife. They are really well made tools. The three pieces cost me some where between $150 and $160. Maybe a little more than you wanted to spend. Spoon carving is very addicting. I carve one or two a week when I have time. I have pretty much shifted to all power tool carving now. It is just as satisfiying. good luck.
    Joe

I have been meaning to order one from pinewood forge for some time. I have never used their spoon knife but have two of their Harley knives. I have had probably 15-20 different carving knives before I got my first pinewood forge one and have not used any of them or looked at getting anything else since.

I do think I recall that they are sometimes 4-6 weeks out on the spoon knives but for me it would be worth the wait.

In addition to knives, I would also recommend getting a bent gouge - they are great for roughing out bowls. They also help quite a bit if you are ever carving spoons out of anything other than wet/green stock. The gouge I like is the Pfeil 35mm #7 sweep bent gouge.
    https://www.amazon.com/PFEIL-Swiss-M.../dp/B0032YV5NW

319RU3VZefL.jpg

I have been getting some tools from this guy
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/stryi_tools...p2047675.l2562
    great tools
    great price
    great deal of time due to shipping
    Carpe Lignum

Get a Mora 120 and a 164.
    Make them super sharp.
    Work with fresh cut wood.
    Whistle while you whittle.
    Then explore other tools. Those two will be workhorses.