Thread: Eggbeater chuck jaw springs

Eggbeater chuck jaw springs

I lost a jaw spring from a Goodell-Pratt eggbeater chuck. Any sources? Tried local hardware store-no joy. OD=1/8" and wire diameter is .020" best I can measure and about 1/2" long. I tried to make my own but failed.

Thanks for any help.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Before you throw out that empty ink pen.....grab the spring. Might even find an empty "BIC" lighter, and try both springs inside it....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Before you throw out that empty ink pen.....grab the spring. Might even find an empty "BIC" lighter, and try both springs inside it....
    +1 on the BIC lighter. There is a spring under the flint and a smaller one under the fuel lever.

If you do not smoke or know any smokers send me a PM with a mailing address.

You will need wire cutters to get them to length. Also you will likely want to replace all three so the tension is the same.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I got mine from McMaster, item 9657K281

edit- those might have been for a breast drill, can't remember, but they sell a shorter spring ( 9657K266 ) which matches the measurements provided.
    Last edited by Mike Lemon; 02-10-2018 at 9:37 PM.

What does the spring look like? If it's similar to the parson's chuck (see pic) on the Millers Falls drills you can use piano wire (its tempered). I've restored a number of hand drills and chucks and they are easy to make. Many music stores will have it. I bought 10 3 ft pieces for around $10.

Blog Entries
    What does the spring look like?
    That is a good question. With eggbeater chucks often folks only think of coil springs, when many others have a different system.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sometimes, they look just like a cut down paper clip.....

Thanks for the input everyone. The ones I need are indeed coil springs. I just cleaned up a North Bros/Yankee chuck with springs like Robert H. posted-much easier to put back together I think. My local hardware store is ordering some that will hopefully work.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!