Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Upgrading

Thoughts on Upgrading

Blog Entries
    If what one has is working why upgrade?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    If one has the ability to upgrade tools to something that is either more enjoyable or works even 5% better, it can be worth it. I didn't watch the video, but considering my own tool purchases over the last 15 years, I can tell you that for operations that I do frequently, the better a tool is the more efficient I get when performing that task.

Consider dovetail saws. I started with a cruddy gents saw, moved through a series of used backsaws, then to the Veritas models, and now the Bad Axe dovetail saw. My skill has improved, yes, but as it has I have upgraded my equipment to make things that much easier and more accurate. (And, for what its worth, the Bad Axe is at least 25% better to use than the Veritas dovetail saw. Add that it actually fits my hand, is a gorgeous saw and has a both a thinner saw plate and less set, and the upgrade is more than worth the price)
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

jtk
    How old is your primary vehicle? Does it need more and more maintenance? Are you concerned it might breakdown and leave you waiting for a tow? Maybe you just enjoy the constant attention it requires. Maybe you can't afford newer / better?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post
    If one has the ability to upgrade tools to something that is either more enjoyable or works even 5% better, it can be worth it. I didn't watch the video, but considering my own tool purchases over the last 15 years, I can tell you that for operations that I do frequently, the better a tool is the more efficient I get when performing that task.

Consider dovetail saws. I started with a cruddy gents saw, moved through a series of used backsaws, then to the Veritas models, and now the Bad Axe dovetail saw. My skill has improved, yes, but as it has I have upgraded my equipment to make things that much easier and more accurate. (And, for what its worth, the Bad Axe is at least 25% better to use than the Veritas dovetail saw. Add that it actually fits my hand, is a gorgeous saw and has a both a thinner saw plate and less set, and the upgrade is more than worth the price)
    Matt,

I have most of the Bad Axe saws, all of the Veritas saws and a few other makes. Maybe it is because I do not have the skills to tell the difference, MsBubba tells me all the time I'm a klutz, but bottom line they all work about the same if they are sharp. Blindfold me, hand me a saw and a board and I'd be hard pressed to tell which saw I was using. Which is pretty much how I pick a saw for any job, which one is about the right size and is under hand, that's the one I use.

As always with anything in wood or life.....YMMV.

ken

Ken, your quote, "but bottom line they all work about the same if they are sharp." Truer words were never spoken.
    Chet

Blog Entries

jtk
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post

Maybe my wording should have been more like if you have something that is working quite well, why upgrade. Desire for something better suited for a job or even the appreciation of a new quality tool is enough motivation, as long as one doesn't have to beg forgiveness from ones significant other.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    How old is your primary vehicle? Does it need more and more maintenance? Are you concerned it might breakdown and leave you waiting for a tow? Maybe you just enjoy the constant attention it requires. Maybe you can't afford newer / better?
    My truck is a '94 the car an '01. Neither are going to be left by the wayside just because of a fuel pump or windshield wiper motor goes south. Have replaced one of each in the last 5 years. Other than that just keeping the fluids up and and changing the oil has been the extent of the attention required. Finding a replacement for a truck is easier than finding a replacement for the car. If there was a car to hold 8 passengers or a load of lumber available with better gas mileage, it might get my consideration. Both of these vehicles were used to move all of our possessions from California to Washington almost 10 years ago and except for the cost of gas and maybe a new set of tires, either of them have my faith of being able to make another round trip without problems.

But back to upgrading tools, my old bandsaw could only resaw 6" and not very well. It was upgraded to a much better unit that can handle 12" resawing.

My best dovetail saw was having problems. For some reason the plate was very brittle and would occasionally have a tooth snap off even with a very light set. My decision was to find something better. What ended up happening is getting a kit and a replacement saw plate from Ron Bontz. Now there are two fine dovetail saws in my shop along with a few other saws that used to be used for dovetailing. Now they have moved on to other specialties.

My desire for a better block plane led me to purchasing a premium LN #60. It is a very well made plane and is minimally better than my old cordovan or English Stanley #60. The older two are still used more often due to the weight difference.

My opinion is nothing more or less than my opinion. If someone wants to upgrade simply because they can it is enough motivation for them.

In my opinion my dog meat looking #4 could maybe look a lot better. There really isn't much other than appearance to be gained by purchasing a newer model.

My point is one might want a better reason to upgrade than just having some new found funds burning a hole in their pocket.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    If a saw is dog meet, if it's a straight saw plate, all it needs is cleaning, maybe new teeth, and tender loving care.

I recommend it, the trip is a fun one. The old saw plates mostly are taper ground and good metallurgy.

Saw handle design is fun and curly maple handles look great as well as sapele, walnut and oak.

I have upgraded almost all my bench chisels since 2012. Chisels that I used for forty and fifty years now sit in a box unused. I still use one chisel that my father received for Christmas 1930, now rehandled. All the rest are 19th century English chisels. I use octagonal beech handles with no ferrules and no rings; this is the traditional set up.

I haven’t upgraded, since I’m only into this about 4 years. My first were two cherries and Ashley Isles. Over the past few years I’ve purchased one chisel from a few “premium” makers to see how I like them. Comes down to whether it feels good in my hand, and if I can get them sharp with the medium I use.

My point is, you don’t need to commit to a full set of something new. Buy one, try it, buy something else, try it...
    Nothing wrong with a few of the same size. I keep several of the size I use most sharp, so I can just switch them out in the middle of some project without stopping to hone.

Warren, I'd love to see those chisels!

Paul, I agree. I am contemplating a single purchase for specific use, ie; paring the braces on acoustic guitar tops and backs. I don't need a matched set of anything, just decent quality tools.
    I also have two of the ones I use the most, for the same reason.

I upgrade continuously. The criterion are the fitness of my current tools to do the job at hand , the discovery of tools better (or sometimes just 'different') from my current tools and the amount of cash being asked for such discovered tools.

So if a job requires a tool I don't have i go buy it.
    If I find a tool secondhand that I either don't have already or is better than what i do have and at a price low enough, i buy it.

'Low enough price' is a contextual variable 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    'Low enough price' is a contextual variable 樂
    Indeed it is. LOL.

Blog Entries
    'Low enough price' is a contextual variable ��
    Many things have found their way to my shop because of the price being low. Especially if it is a useable tool that might make a little profit if it needs to be sold.

Heck, there are likely more 1/4" & 1/2" chisels in my shop than many people have in all their chisels.

jtk