Thread: I have this General International Mortiser

I have this General International Mortiser

the gas spring went out on. I've tried calling GI in Canada several times over a period of weeks, no answer. The U.S. distriber's number is disconnected so I assume even GI parts are not to be had. I thought the overseas operation was going to continue but apparently not.

I can buy the springs in an endless variety of weight capacities and sizes but there are no markings on the old spring except don't take it apart. I don't have a clue how to determine what I need

I found out that the one for a Powermatic is much longer the hard way. If anyone needs a backup cheap, PM me.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Hi Bill:

You can try JR Normand in Canada. They are a longtime General dealer and appear to have stepped up (or are trying to step up) and supply parts for GI equipment now that GI appears to have closed it's doors. The website for enquiries (I hope this doesn't break too many rules) is: https://form.jotform/Normand_inc/parts-request-general-international

Hope this helps,
    Barry W. Larson
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada, eh!

Hi, King Canada is now selling exact General International machinery under their brand.

If you contact them, they may have the correct cylinder for you ( you said spring however I believe it's a gas strut you're looking for).............Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Another option is that gas struts and gas springs (not the same thing) are generally available. If the size and P1 / F1 force are close to something readily available, you're good.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Try emailing them... I did and got a reply in a week..

Got an older general international floor Mortiser that I lost the 3/4 shank collet.. been trying to find one.. gonna try that king manufacturer now so thanks for the tip