Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: She's a Beauty of a Beast!

Congratulations, Roger. That looks beautiful. I am sure if there's even an iota of a discrepancy from the specs, you will find it, report, and have it fixed. But I doubt you'll find anything. Have fun, and be safe.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Roger that does look like a beast! Have you ordered some green Grizzly paint for it yet?
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    Roger that does look like a beast! Have you ordered some green Grizzly paint for it yet?
    might have to change the name to Grizzly Green/Black Monster Group.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Congrats Roger. Nice looking machine.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Thanks Rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    The triangular holes are for a bed extension that mounts to the side of the lathe. I would assume it is to let you turn big stuff with the tailstock centre in place.
    The lathe is made by Nanjing Harvey Machinery Co.LTD. in China. I think they will sell the accessories that Grizzly doesn't offer. You can buy direct through Alibaba with the Harvey name on it rather than Grizzly's. They make a couple smaller models (T-50 and T-40) and a lot of other woodworking machines. They also make some of the Bridge City tools.

https://harveymachinery.en.alibaba.c...6c2d4c44gUkjZk
    Harvey is selling some products direct in the US now, the T40 for one (Woodworkers in Las Vegas, Highland Hardware, some Woodcraft's, etc)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

7. IMG_G0800-1039.jpg just tryin' it out!

What a mess! I'm calling the shop police.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

9. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    What a mess! I'm calling the shop police.
    I forgot we had them, Doug! Been a long while since they were mentioned, huh? You’ll be happy to know, that I vacuumned up all those shavings into my dust collection system!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    Roger that sure is a nice looking lathe. I like how the headstock is made and well just about everything about it. Hope it serves you well.
    Thanks Fred! I believe it will. I am even more impressed by it, now tht I have a couple of sessions on the beast. When I get the project finished to my satisfaction, I will post a pic, and maybe some additional comments.

Nice to hear from you again!

Dayum! I'm going to call the shop police due to using a massive rig to turn that tiny piece!

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie Johnson View Post
    Dayum! I'm going to call the shop police due to using a massive rig to turn that tiny piece!

Jeramie, that is the first piece to be turned on it, so although I started it out a bit unbalanced, I just thought I had better make sure everything was dialed in a bit before putting a huge piece of wood on that beast. Even at that, this bowl blank started out at about 13 + inches diameter and about 10 inches thick...with more wood on one side than the other and weighed about 35 or so pounds.

Congratulations on the new lathe, Roger! Looking forward to your updates!