Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She's a Beauty of a Beast!

She's a Beauty of a Beast!

Well, I got the flagship lathe in the Grizzly lineup into the shop yesterday, the G0800 24x48 Heavy Duty lathe.

IMG_1019.jpg It took a good bit of work, totally rearranging my shop. I moved out my radial arm saw, and a work bench, moved my G0766 and my Delta 46-460 midi to the other side of the small shop, and set up where I can turn on any of the 3 lathes at will. Had to re-do the dust collection to the new G0766 position, and put the new G0800 in the former location of the G0766. Also had to run a new 240v circuit from the panel for the new 0766 position. In the process, I got my table saw back where it is not stacked with everything, and can use it as needed!

IMG_G0766-1027.jpg Lots of other work in reorganizing, and cleaning to prepare for the new arrival.

Now, I have not had time to turn on the new beautiful beast as of yet, but did go through the thing with some serious study, and look forward to turning a few big things next week, time permitting.

Initial impressions: I have been around a lot of lathes, and have turned on many different models, including Jet 1642 evs, PM3520b's [eleven of them, some multiple times] a Robust American Beauty, a Serious SL2542, and numerous midi's/mini's, and been up close when others have turned on a Oneway.

Let me say this...I have never seen a better build on a lathe for pure mass, and precision for tolerances. This thing is heavy! Shipping weight was 845 lbs. The castings are thick, the precision ground ways are beautiful. The banjo is massive, as is the tailstock.

The quill moves like a precision watch, and the lock down on banjo, tailstock and headstock is rock solid. The centers line up to an exacting degree. The legs are splayed in a wide and stable set, and even the leveling feet are machined from studs, much heavier than any lathe I have owned. Beefy in every respect as to build. It is also quiet and very smooth.

I was really thinking about saving for an American Beauty, and really like the Serious SL2542 - but after evaluating my personal preferences for sliding headstock, and diving deep into the schematics for the G0800, and seeing the massive bearings [3] in the headstock, and seeing the features, and also considering the great performance and service I have gotten from my two former Grizzly's the G0698 and the G0766, then I knew the value would be there. I feel up front that this G0800 has exceeded my expectations in the build...I expected it to be heavy duty, but I think this flagship model is actually extra heavy duty!

If the turning goes like I anticipate, then the performance will also match the build....I will check that out in the next few days and have more to talk about after getting hands on turning done. For now, just thought I'd share because a number of folks asked me to once I got it setup.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Beauty, use it in good health.

good lookin roger.......
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Lookin good Roger, can't wait to hear more reports on it.

Hey Roger lookin good. I new you would be impressed with the sheer mass of this lathe. I have had my Laguna 2436 for almost two years now and don't regret the purchase. The only thing I will change on mine is the banjo. I feel the post is a little short so will be updating to a Oneway.
    800 + lbs. indeed makes a difference.
    Will be waiting for your thoughts after turning on it for awhile. Again congratulations on a great purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by carl mesaros View Post
    Hey Roger lookin good. I new you would be impressed with the sheer mass of this lathe. I have had my Laguna 2436 for almost two years now and don't regret the purchase. The only thing I will change on mine is the banjo. I feel the post is a little short so will be updating to a Oneway.
    800 + lbs. indeed makes a difference.
    Will be waiting for your thoughts after turning on it for awhile. Again congratulations on a great purchase.
    Carl, I don’t think my banjo neck or my toolrest post are too short. That banjo is massive. I wonder if they refined the design since yours came out?

I forgot to mention that my toolrests that I got from Robust for my G0766 are perfect for my new G0800. The stock rest on the 0800 is 8.75” total height, and that is exactly what my Robust rests are! All my chucks fit perfectly as well, so the only problem I have is when I need to change chucks is I have to walk across the shop and get it!

Roger that sure is a nice looking lathe. I like how the headstock is made and well just about everything about it. Hope it serves you well.
    Fred

That looks like fun, Roger. Enjoy.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Congrats Roger
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Carl, I don’t think my banjo neck or my toolrest post are too short. That banjo is massive. I wonder if they refined the design since yours came out?
    You may be right Roger. The tool rest that came with the lathe is fine but all of my long post Robust rests are just a little short. I also like the clamping system of the Oneway and Robust banjos better. I recently priced a Robust banjo from Brett at the Tennessee woodturning symposium and he was aware of the Laguna's shorter banjo.
    I stll think I'll order the Oneway (100$ cheaper).
    Enjoy playing with that new machine and I will look forward to your further review.

Nice looking lathe Roger. Even the color looks awesome.

What are those triangular machined pads with three threaded holes for? Also, is a remote speed control available?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Nice looking lathe Roger. Even the color looks awesome.

What are those triangular machined pads with three threaded holes for? Also, is a remote speed control available?

Mike
    The triangular holes are for a bed extension that mounts to the side of the lathe. I would assume it is to let you turn big stuff with the tailstock centre in place.
    The lathe is made by Nanjing Harvey Machinery Co.LTD. in China. I think they will sell the accessories that Grizzly doesn't offer. You can buy direct through Alibaba with the Harvey name on it rather than Grizzly's. They make a couple smaller models (T-50 and T-40) and a lot of other woodworking machines. They also make some of the Bridge City tools.

https://harveymachinery.en.alibaba.c...6c2d4c44gUkjZk

14. Same company that makes the Powermatic lathes. The machining is as nice as any unit I have seen. Very precise on fit and finish, etc
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-11-2018 at 8:25 PM.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    That looks like fun, Roger. Enjoy.
    Thanks Doug! Nice to hear from you....hope you’re doing well!