Thread: How do I remove all the bark from a live edge?

How do I remove all the bark from a live edge?

I'm making a small jewelry box for the wife, and using a piece with the natural edge for the lid. Most of the bark is already off, but there is still a bit left that doesn't want to pull off. What is the best way to remove this without gouging the natural edge?

Thanks,

Dave

For a small piece I'd use a handheld wire brush. For a big piece, a Makita wheel sander, model 9741.

i usually start by laying the board on the edge of the bench with the live edge hanging off the bench. the side that is up matters, so pick the side to be up to be the side that was closest to the middle of the log. then start wacking the bark with hammer straight down. start at one end and work your way across. the bark will usually pop off. for large slabs i use a large wooden mallet, for smaller slabs, a 16 oz. hammer.

Power washer.

Seriously.

It will peel the bark and all the stringy stuff underneath clean off, and leave just the natural edge. Takes no skill or finesse at all. Is a bit messy, though

I use this el-cheapo cup attachment from Harbor Freight. Synthetic bristles instead of wire. Leaves a really nice burnished finish without being overly aggressive.

19983932_1731405876936514_5883122945801346050_o.jpg

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Power washer.

Seriously.

It will peel the bark and all the stringy stuff underneath clean off, and leave just the natural edge. Takes no skill or finesse at all. Is a bit messy, though
    You beat me to it. It was/is impressive to watch tons of a old growth redwood log spinning under the pressure washer. People have died becasue they forgot to lock out the washer while working on it inside the special room where it is washed.

Bill D

We use a draw knife

Bevel down.

Draw knife works for me too.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Since this is a small piece, about 9 1/2 inches long, with the bark on the 3/8 inch thick edge, I will give the wire brush a try.

Thanks again!

Dave

Guess it depends on end goal. Are you trying to preserve the shape? Then you got plenty of good answers. Otherwise, bandsaw is your friend.

I also use a draw knife, but make sure it is relatively dull. That way it is easy to keep it from cutting into the edge of the wood.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Drawknife or Bark Spud.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I use this el-cheapo cup attachment from Harbor Freight. Synthetic bristles instead of wire. Leaves a really nice burnished finish without being overly aggressive.

19983932_1731405876936514_5883122945801346050_o.jpg

Erik
    ^^Same worked beautifully for me too. Fast, but much less aggressive than wire cup/wheels (it will certainly leave the 'live' in live edge work). It even left the dormant buds and 'worm' tracks on a recent Black Walnut slab.

Chisel and drawknife.