Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something interesting - specialty box/case

Gail,

This sounds like a very cool commission!

I'd keep it very simple, but with enough flair to cause it to be a conversation piece. It would seem to me that a plain black box would over time, get lost in the background. In my experience (people wise) folks like this WANT to talk about this box, therefore some type of accents (complementary wood) are in order. You can use this as your "hook" when you talk to them. Have a quote for the plain black, but also a quote for your design.

Have you visited their kitchen? Do they have curtains or drapes that you could take a complementary color (wood tone) from? Say a mahogany? What about their dining area? Black & white table and chairs or something different?

Anyways, that my two cents.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

-joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

2. what about making it from a dark wood like ebony? I think that is a very cool project - paint or not.

Constraints

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Henriksen
    I think that is a very cool project - paint or not.
    I have to agree with Andy.
    Gail / It appears you have not fully embraced your client’s ideas. Although designers often have preconceived ideas on how they would like to develop the project, a client or collaborative process often takes the project in another direction. I can’t image that a black exterior would constrain your enormous talents and abilities.<O</O
    (I cringed too when you mentioned the black paint). That being said, the overall design, the details and interior appear free to your imagination. Best of luck in the process, sounds like fun!

Corvin

Gail, there is another solution.

I’ve been a professional artist for 30 years and have faced the equivalent of your problem many times. They have a problem; the sentimental parameters and that it needs to go with their black and white kitchen. Frequently, the client will propose their own solution; in this case, black paint.

You must move forward with the conviction that THEY are the ones that are in the problem business and YOU are the one in the solution business and not the other way around.

After they propose a possible solution like, black paint, I acknowledge their suggestion then move away from specific aesthetic solutions, back to the feeling, or impression they want to convey. I help them focus in and define their needs (aesthetic, emotional, and practical) as well as ascertain their taste. In this case, the aesthetic need isn’t for black paint per se, it may be that they just want it to go with the kitchen décor or they have a fondness for the drama of black against white. Your solution could be ebonized wood with holly accents or a design with a shape or texture that harmonizes with their décor or satisfies a mood they want to convey.

In other words, people who come up with bad taste suggestions are often open to good taste solutions if you help them along in the process. I’ve seen your site. You do beautiful work. I’m sure you can come up with a solution that will please them and you as well.

Thank you....really, for all the input. Your opinions are so valuable to me, especially your faith that I will turn it into something that I like as well as the customer.

I have been thinking about it all week. I did some drawings up this morning. I have decided to keep the back paint on the outside of the piece, while having it light and clear on the inside, so it is more of a surprise when opening the door...the glass will be hand etched in the door so that the interior is not completely visible and the door will have a key and lock if they choose to use it.

I hope to provide details inside that they will not right away see, but over time, as they become mature furniture lovers and come into contact with those that are...an uncle that comes to see it who says...did you know that these are dovetails? etc...well the education will come over time. My wish is that they fall in love with custom woodworking...but I think it is something you have to grow to appreciate and the smaller details they may not see today, but maybe tomorrow.

A young couple with no current furniture, building a home together are looking at filling the space...not anything more intimate. I hope to do for them something which they do not realize now, but will down the road.

thanks for the inspiration.

More on this topic later.

Gail

Hi Gail

Rule No. 1 The customer is always right.

Rule No. 2 When the customer is wrong, see rule No. 1.

That doesn't mean that we can't persuade the customer, or point out things that are impossible, but if more people saw things in black and white, there would be a heck of a lot less marital discord in the world. Remember, marital and martial are only two letters different!

Bill (who is an experienced counselor as well as woodworker)

LOL! Well said, Rick and Bill! Good luck, Gail...look forward to an updating of this....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I realize I'm late on this, but I have done some black pieces. I use india ink, 2 coats and clear top coat. If used on something like maple the results can look great. Good luck.

Richard

Hi Gail,
    Long time no chat. I may, as well be late, but you know me, I hang out "around the corner.
    I posted a turning last week, which was from a selection of wood that did not reflect any character. So I decided to experiment some, and dyed it black with Kiwi liquid shoe polish, several spray coats of lacquer, and a good power buffing, it was ebonized in a flash. Something I very, very rarely do.
    FWIW, I think African Black Wood, with doves of White Holly inlaid, applied with your ideas may go well.

Always nice seeing your work,
    Bill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Gail,

Just read this interesting post and was wondering if you had an updates for us towards the design of the box....

SimonA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    Rule No. 1 The customer is always right.

Rule No. 2 When the customer is wrong, see rule No. 1.
    Hi Bill,

Actually, I've heard another rule which I think is more true:

Rule #1: The Customer is NOT always right.
    However, the customer IS always the customer.

And Richard, your India Ink technique sounds interesting. Anywhere I can see a photo of some of that work?

Might be a bit much, but my mother, yes my mother, turns out some very nice peices using rubbed out cleared black laquer with gold accents and sometimes gold leaf. From what she tells me the hand rubbing is a very slow process when the clear is done by brush.

Interesting commission, Gail. Isn't black the color used for marriages in some cultures - they're just as aghast that we use white for ours (which I think is a color of mourning in China).

Richard's india ink idea is a good one. I was going to ask if they have the funds to spring for ebony veneer.

I'm a consultant by trade, so I tend to be on a lot of sales calls. You may be able to steer them. The first wood that popped into my head when you described what the wanted was bloodwood. Blood - Heart... Maybe something with a nice understated brass inscription - maybe a couple lines from their vows.

Maybe you could do a box in a box. Black and white to match their kitchen, with the 2nd box inside it.

And I totally agree with Art's two rules. I have to live them every day.
    Where did I put that tape measure...