Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Panel Clamps- Help please

DIY Panel Clamps- Help please

After alot of looking, I'm pretty sure this style of clamp will work good for me.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...81&cat=1,43838

I need to on a regular basis glue up panels up to 28" wide x 7' long, 4/4.

Not production volume, but maybe 8 panels/ month probably for a couple years.

Only thing is, I need 5 or 6 of them and hate to pay the almost $300 for just the hardware.

I realize tools are an investment, and don't mind that... but always try to get best bang for my buck.

Any other options for the hardware ?

Other suggestions for this ?

McMaster or Reid ready made parts ?

No, I have no Machinist buddy to Acme thread parts or anything.

I do have a big old Delta drill press.

Marc

After more thinking, it's really just the vise end I need to come up with.

Marc

Just drill the cross holes and tap. Get a steptap? which is a shallow tap on the front then it switches to a full depth tap at the end nearest the handle.

Standard tap drill is for 75% engagement. I would shoot for 70-65%. I looked it up a standard grade 3 coarse thread 5/8 bolt is 14,000 Pounds of clamp force at 150 Foot pounds. I would guess you need well under 1,000 pounds per bolt especially with a short 4-6 inch long handle. And an acme thread should carry more load.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-10-2018 at 8:39 PM.

Too fast of me to follow.

Re explain the basic configuration of what you suggest please.

I don't understand what I am supposed to tap.

If I could find various fitments for acme thread rod, I'd be able to figure it out.

Gonna go google that.

Marc

In the top photo cross drill the larger diameter shaft, the one without the handle. Then tap that new hole. I do not see any real threads on the outside of the bigger rods. Just some surface roughness so they do not fall out of the holes in the wood so easy.
    The other piece looks like a thick nut to me. I think it has an O-ring on each side to keep it in place.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-10-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Gotcha now.

Those pins with the "roughness".. I'm thinking like 1/2" + threaded rod would work.. would provide the non skid idea... although I would rather bolt/nut that and adjust down just right to not restrict but keep alignment of boards better.

Found this at good pricing -

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-T...ad-Screw-Nuts/

Those O rings hold the clamp "pad" at center of stock allowing for some different panel thickness.

I have just started to look into this.. just thought maybe one of you folks have done this and have a good hardware source for these kinds of pieces.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 02-10-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Good ideas so far. On the "all thread, I would add a square nut at center. Use RED Locktite on it. Then drill and tap cross hole. You could use regular bolt thru cross hole, and tighten clamp with impact driver. My preference though would be pipe clamps, fastened to a horizontal bar with a tee on end of pipe. This way when not in use they could be swung down out of the way. One thing to remember is with yellow glue, you only need to keep clamps on for 45 minutes, not overnite. (Read the bottle.)

Zorro is a good, source of allthread. and only $5.00 total for shipping. It pays to wait and total up a good size order to offset shipping.
    Bil lD

https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-threaded-rod-low-carbon-steel-58-8x3-ft-24303/i/G1141244/

Not the correct thread but you get the idea below.

https://www.zoro.com/value-brand-cou...47/i/G2818365/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-11-2018 at 11:45 PM.

I've been a professional woodworker for a couple of decades now and I've never one seen panels clamped up with that set up. I have, however, clamped and seen clamped hundreds of panels using regular bar clamps, parallel clamps, pipe clamps, f-clamps, and even strap clamps. Use what you got and if you have to buy anything get yourself a good starter set of general purpose clamps.

I second the F or parrakkel clamps for panels. I have tried similar devices to what the OP showed and found them more cumbersome than f clamps and a stack of dedicated cauls with integrated clamping bolts. If you want cheap acme thread, canabalize a harbor freight c- clamp. It even gives you a handle and swivel pad.

Johhny - 6 decent bar clamps will run me almost $400.

And I will still have some trouble w sliding and uplifting edges due to my inevitebly imperfect prepared edges due to limited experience, a short bed jointer, no planer, etc.

So, then I will have to mess w cauls...and more clamps for them.

Meantime everything will be wobbling around.

Rather than the above.. I am thinking of building a dedicated flat table w attached clamps, everything square and lined up for same size panels, kinda down the line of my OP.

I would make the "pins" at the far end out of bolts/ nuts, (ANMD at the clamp ends) allowing me to control and gently snug down the "cauls" to reduce the steps between boards.

I could also buy used like JLT clamps used on racks and screw em down, but I would still have the sliding mating edge problem, and I think still like at least $80 to my door used each.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 02-12-2018 at 1:42 AM.

I guess I'll re title what I'm after - "Best design for efficiently edge gluing 4/4 28" x 7' panels repeatedly including built in stable cauls all mounted on permanent table", hopefully economically.

I dunno, maybe I just buy used one panels worth of a rotating clamp rack, something like that, but again, w built in cauls.

I have no compulsion to reinvent the wheel.

Just tired of bendy pipe clamps and cauls falling over needing 4 hands type of stuff.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 02-12-2018 at 1:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Johhny - 6 decent bar clamps will run me almost $400.

And I will still have some trouble w sliding and uplifting edges due to my inevitebly imperfect prepared edges due to limited experience, a short bed jointer, no planer, etc.

So, then I will have to mess w cauls...and more clamps for them.

Meantime everything will be wobbling around.

Rather than the above.. I am thinking of building a dedicated flat table w attached clamps, everything square and lined up for same size panels, kinda down the line of my OP.

I would make the "pins" at the far end out of bolts/ nuts, (ANMD at the clamp ends) allowing me to control and gently snug down the "cauls" to reduce the steps between boards.

I could also buy used like JLT clamps used on racks and screw em down, but I would still have the sliding mating edge problem, and I think still like at least $80 used each.

Marc
    Simple solution to that. . .Get a good doweling system going. Sounds like you have some alignment issues that are going to cause you issues no matter what clamps you use if you don't do something to hold the boards where you want them while you clamp.

My suggestion of dowels is my first choice, followed by glue joint bit off the shaper or router table, thirds choice is to spline the joint, then biscuits as a last option. If I am doing a production panel run I'll set up the shaper and do glue joints on that. Makes alignment super fast with only light pressure needed from a few bar clamps.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Something like this you mean?

http://www.timberline-amana.com/rout...oint-bits.html

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Yup. Make a setup block if you use consistent thickness wood for your panels. Makes set up simple and painless. I've got a set of them for mine in 1/16" increments from 5/8-1/34" (mines on a shaper)
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.