Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How are you organizing fasteners?

Thanks to you all. So many good solutions. Ultimately, looks like I'll need to settle on whether to go with a "case" type approach or bins. I guess this doesn't need to be a decision for life...

Blog Entries
    Getting these for free...S5005849.jpg

baby_food_containers_l.jpg

I'm w/ Matt Day, except I buy the small 18 Compartment Small Storage Containers:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...ner-94456.html

Anytime I'm passing by and have some time to spare I grab one w/ a 20/25% off coupon. That said, I am kind of disappointed that they're not the same containers as are used in:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...box-40528.html

and I've been considering getting one of those.

I use parts bins and put a label on the front so I don't go crazy looking for stuff.

Also my hardware is sorted by size so all #6 screws are in two rows sorted by length and head style for example...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Those are pretty nice. I had never seen them before. I think I order a set. I've made my own in the past that use the bottom for a slide and they work good, but I'm not sure I could make them for much less than the $4-$5 that these cost. And they are time consuming to make in large numbers. I'd rather spend my time doing other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I use parts bins and put a label on the front so I don't go crazy looking for stuff.

Also my hardware is sorted by size so all #6 screws are in two rows sorted by length and head style for example...........Regards, Rod.
    Same here, in fact, I just ordered another labeler because my old one died. Everything has a place and that place is labeled. Even if I only have of that size screw, it has it's own bin.

I've been doing a lot of labeling in the past few months...'definitely getting my money's worth from the machine!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Organize? Now there is an interesting concept.

LOL. If I were capable of organizing things, my life would have turned out very differently ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I've been doing a lot of labeling in the past few months...'definitely getting my money's worth from the machine!
    My last one finally wore out, you barely get an image you can see on the tape, which is why I just ordered a new one that costs 1/5 of the last one and has more features.

I have about 6 old lead type drawers mounted in a frame. Each drawer has about 30 to 35 sections on each side. They have various size
    sections to hold all my screws, bolts, nails, etc.
    Epilog EXT 40 watt, Legend 24TT 45 watt, Corel 3X, Deckel pantographs, Meistergram 18-28 (2)

I was at my local Ace Hardware today and they are selling these six packs of trays for $10 each. They have quite a few and I am trying to decide how many I should get. Any suggestions? The bins themselves are bigger than I would normally want, but still for $10.

Bins.jpg
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

I contacted dandydrawers about purchasing some of their biggest drawers (~12"). They have none in stock and don't seem interested in restocking due to high batch costs - $12000 for 7500 drawers. Claimed they didn't have enough orders for them. Seems like they have a good product but poor sales distribution. It's too bad. If they sold through other portals I believe they would sell thousands.

Mark those are nice bins, nicely priced for heavy stuff and could be great for the purpose. You can likely create workable dividers for the bins, too, with a little thought and some epoxy to hold them in place. I'd jump on some of those myself for sure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Amazing how much you realize the investment in hardware when you organize it. I used up my #12 slotted head 3/4 metal screws working on my bins, picked up $10 worth, put them away, and saw how little space it took up. Then I looked at the containers as a whole and got a sense of the investment.

I am loving knowing exactly where each the fasteners of a certain size and type are and the fact each family of fastener is color coded. I moved my bins out during the ceiling spray and HATED not having them accessable while i was putting stuff back away. I am hooked on having a system for them now!!!