Thread: Opinions Needed

Opinions Needed

So, I have been on SMC for a little while, but not an active poster. I am having trouble trying to decide how to proceed with this bowl. It has some spalting, and a bit of red coloring as well. Your opinions are needed.
    1. Sand it and finish it as is.
    2. Fill all holes with colored epoxy and finish it.
    3. Burn it.

IMG_1062.jpg

Not a turner. I think it should be completed and given an oil-wax finish. Utilitarian objects have a natural beauty that is more easily seen without gloss and patches.

Probably finish as is especially if the worm holes do not go all the way to the inside. How about the dimensions?

Looks like bug tracks, IMO they add "character".
    Some people actually prefer bowls with bug tracks, voids, bark inclusions etc. At one time I filled all the imperfections in my bowls but now I sometimes leave them.
    I think you should finish it as is.
    BTW your bowl looks like it "might" be Box Elder.

If I only had one or two I might fill. With that many I would leave as is. So finish as is.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I vote for "sand and finish as is".

another vote to finish as is.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I do this all the time. Get a dental pick/tool (or something similar). Pick out all the tailings left by the worms. Use your air compressor to blow it all out. The holes will clean up well. Get all the holes cleaned up. Then sand final. Blow out all the holes. Tack cloth it. Finish and enjoy. Use a acid brush or something to get the finish down in the holes. Watch out for finish gathering in the holes and then seeping out and making runs in the finish. DAMHIKT.

RP

Mike, I had a platter with some worm holes. I had applied a finish and had filled the holes. I laid it on top of another platter with a sheet of newspaper between them so that I didn't mar the finish on either bowl. Then a couple of days later I noticed that there was a hole that wasn't filled? Could I have missed one? Then I noticed that the newspaper had a hole of the same shape at the new hole? There was still a worm in the wood, having a great time eating anything in which it came in contact. You may want to consider microwaving it for a minute or so to cook out any remaining larvae.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Mike, I had a platter with some worm holes. I had applied a finish and had filled the holes. I laid it on top of another platter with a sheet of newspaper between them so that I didn't mar the finish on either bowl. Then a couple of days later I noticed that there was a hole that wasn't filled? Could I have missed one? Then I noticed that the newspaper had a hole of the same shape at the new hole? There was still a worm in the wood, having a great time eating anything in which it came in contact. You may want to consider microwaving it for a minute or so to cook out any remaining larvae.
    Now that's funny!!!!!
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Leave the holes, soak it in oil finish. Do not worry if holes go right through. It would likely sell faster than a "perfect" bowl. Have fun with it.
    C&C WELCOME

Thanks for the responses. Here are some pictures of it after 1 coat of oil. It is 10" X 4.75". There are several of the holes that go all the way through the bowl.

IMG_1065.jpgIMG_1066.jpgIMG_1067.jpg