Thread: Shelf Sitters?

Shelf Sitters?

Picked these two up last year.....hoping they MIGHT have been of some use...

IMG_3118 (640x480).jpg
    Somewhere between a #2 and a #3 in size....Figured someday, when I don't have anything else to do in the shop, and I get bored sitting around...
    There is a logo stamped into the irons..
    IMG_3119 (640x480).jpg
    Big eyeball, Goldenberg?

The one has a way to adjust the chipbreaker.....
    Had an issue..
    IMG_3121 (640x480).jpg
    Laid on it's side...meh....bored anyway....tried to correct the angles a bit..
    IMG_3123 (640x480).jpg
    Yes, that IS sitting on a doghole....Finally decided to just sit these two on a shelf, as a display.....unless someonr wants them for the ironworks...
    IMG_3120 (640x480).jpg
    Hmmmm..$1 each.....bookends?

Steven,

The plane on the left has a "CBS" iron, it is where CBS got the idea for it's old "eye" logo, that is before it went to it's modern stylized eye logo.

Stew

Hmmm, actually....they both have that eyeball.....

Your right, I didn't notice. The one one the left has the rest of the logo as well, most of it was just removed when they cut the slot.

Tis a mystery....a new logo to me, but on to bigger and better things: Shelf Sitters.

Right now my shelf sitters are too many hand saws that need to be cleaned up, refinished, and sharpened....it will be quite some time before I have time to get to them. Right now I use the same six to ten or so all the time, the ones that are already restored, and sharpen them as needed.

As I always mention, and need to remind myself when I see a "bargain" deal on a handsaw....."Self, you don't need any more handsaws you have too many now....save your pennies for something you need and don't already have way too many of." (I think some of us on the site have a serious hand saw problem.....and well plane problem....chisel problem too?)

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-10-2018 at 9:15 PM.

Aaaahhhh yes...

I visited a fellow once who had the most amazing collection of planes and vintage wood tools..

So says I.. How do you like these. Which of these are your favorites? How do you find the steel? Which would you recommend?

Oh says he.. I don't use these.... Too much work to sort them out - and often the steel isn't good... I just collect them... I use these and I like them very much: And he pulls out a set of Lie Nielsen planes...

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Oh says he.. I don't use these.... Too much work to sort them out - and often the steel isn't good... I just collect them... I use these and I like them very much: And he pulls out a set of Lie Nielsen planes...
    His loss...

I have LN planes and like them very much (though I wish they'd offer something other than A2), but I also like my slowly expanding collection of vintage tools a lot.

These may come in handy someday. I watched Tommy Mac made his bombe chest and he took these type of planes and planed the soles for the contour of the chest to plane them. You never may use them like this but you never know. For a buck it’s a good investment.
    Don