Thread: Wood To Buy?

Wood To Buy?

Not sure where else I'd post this. I live in Warsaw, MO, and I am looking for air and/or kiln dried lumber - cherry, walnut, oak, other species quite possibly. Rough is fine, I prefer to surface myself. Also interested in green, fresh cut I can chain saw out bowl blanks.

Anyone in the area know who, if anyone, puts up wood for sale??

Thanks in advance...

Check your CL. Ask the guys at Grizzlys wood turning club too.

Woodmizer has an online database of their saw owners. Also, Timberking is located in KC and they likely know of local mills. Good luck.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Try woodfinder, just enter your zip code and the type of wood and they will show you the closest sources.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Try woodfinder, just enter your zip code and the type of wood and they will show you the closest sources.
    Unfortunately, woodfinder is very inaccurate. It doesn't find the 3 closest wood dealers to me and these are major regional dealers. In fact, outside of Rockler, the closest it finds to me is 100 miles away and 3 counties over. Yes, it's all done by volunteers and requires people to submit their dealers, but I've done that and it never shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Unfortunately, woodfinder is very inaccurate. It doesn't find the 3 closest wood dealers to me and these are major regional dealers. In fact, outside of Rockler, the closest it finds to me is 100 miles away and 3 counties over. Yes, it's all done by volunteers and requires people to submit their dealers, but I've done that and it never shows up.
    I tried it for quartersawn oak and the closest to me was 465 miles away and it went up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    I tried it for quartersawn oak and the closest to me was 465 miles away and it went up from there.
    That doesn't mean there aren't closer dealers, it just means that woodfinder is very inaccurate and incomplete and then have been for years.

It's going to take someone with local knowledge I think - until 6 months ago I had lived in another rural community for 40+ years, and knew 3-4 locals who quietly put up wood and would sell some. I bet the same applies here in Warsaw, just have to find the right 'connection.'

I just checked the Woodmizer web site and they identify mill owners in Preston and Florence which I believe are close to you.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Have your tried google for "sawmills near Warsaw, MO"? Google came up with several places such as Burkhart's Native Lumber 916 NE Highway 2Windsor, MO 65360 about 32 miles from you.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute