Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: Cost of your blank personal checks.

  1. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The only checks I write are for boarding our horse and the farrier. Everything else is paid electronically and generally scheduled to just happen on or the day before the due date.
    For many things like this, I pay them electronically and the bank mails them a check. I don't even have to pay the postage.

    Of course, in certain circumstances I have to give a check in person, but not many. My wife is much more "old school" and writes more checks.

    Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    692
    And then there are the businesses that require your drivers licence and a credit card or they won't take the check, if they accept them at all.

    I was in a supermarket a few years ago and a lady with a lot of life experience under her belt paid with a cheque and the young guy didn't know what it was nor what to do with it. A manager had to walk him through it.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    46,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For many things like this, I pay them electronically and the bank mails them a check. I don't even have to pay the postage.

    Of course, in certain circumstances I have to give a check in person, but not many. My wife is much more "old school" and writes more checks.

    Mike
    The only bank-mailed check that I send is my parent's assisted living rent out of their account. That bill is slightly different each month because of electric usage, so I request them online each month. Anything else generally gets billed to my AMEX (preferred) or my VISA if someone doesn't take AMEX for some reason of their own. (only have one of those) So I only need to pay two cards and I'm done. And I get the points. Mortgage is direct debit monthly so it doesn't hit a card. So only Elvis's keep gets manual checks. (the horse)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-13-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,183
    I just had to get some new checks form my bank. They aren't free anymore. Cost was ~ $12 per hundred.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    6,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    What are you paying for blank checks from your bank? If you don't know, you better look next time.
    You might be paying too much. I think I paid about $20 two boxes of 150 each.

    Try this: https://www.bankrate.com/finance/che...ave-money.aspx

    JKJ

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Doylestown, PA
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    And then there are the businesses that require your drivers licence and a credit card or they won't take the check, if they accept them at all.

    I was in a supermarket a few years ago and a lady with a lot of life experience under her belt paid with a cheque and the young guy didn't know what it was nor what to do with it. A manager had to walk him through it.
    If she really wanted to mess with the youngster's brain, she could have written the check for over the amount due to get some cash back. SWMBO does that and the 'checkout coach' or some experienced person has to assist.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    6,200
    Sometimes we have to use checks. My Lovely Bride said the SS people require using checks for expense accounting for a dependent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The only checks I write are for boarding our horse and the farrier.
    You should just give up that life in the frozen north and move south. I think I have room for one more horse and my farrier charges less than any farrier I've ever used or heard of! We have round pen, riding trails...

    Horses_three_IMG_20151103_0.jpg
    (And yes, they only have halters on when handling.)

    JKJ

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    46,098
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You should just give up that life in the frozen north and move south. I think I have room for one more horse and my farrier charges less than any farrier I've ever used or heard of! We have round pen, riding trails...

    Horses_three_IMG_20151103_0.jpg
    (And yes, they only have halters on when handling.)

    JKJ
    LOL...I don't think we're in the position to move anywhere at this point. The Professor is two years younger than me and enjoys teaching...her tenured university position also provides the health insurance for the two of us as well as both of our young adult daughters. (the younger is a college freshman and the older is a semi-disabled young adult) Maybe someday we'll move, but the chances are we'll remain in this area because of our older daughter's situation, etc. She may be able to start living independently in a few years, but that's not assured.

    Current farrier is half what we were paying previously...$75 for a reset and $85 for new front shoes including all four trims. Elvis doesn't do well barefoot. The previous guy was stellar, quality-wise, with hot shoeing, etc., but caters more to the affluent crowd. Elvis pays for himself, for the most part, as he has two lessees that cover all but a small portion of his board. The younger isn't riding right now because of back issues and no time between school and work, so we've kept Elvis "in work" via the leases.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,335
    Well, so much for buying through the bank so things would be correct.
    My check had the phone number printed on there for a local business.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,109
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Well, so much for buying through the bank so things would be correct.
    My check had the phone number printed on there for a local business.
    Look at you !!! That business will have to balance your checkbook for you.
    And when someone calls wanting that business just put them on hold and walk away.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    46,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Well, so much for buying through the bank so things would be correct.
    My check had the phone number printed on there for a local business.
    Yet another opportunity to "have word" with them...
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    814
    I just ordered business checks from Sam's Club for less than 1/4 the price that the bank wanted. You don't have to be a member to buy checks. I use four personal checks a month, for the few people who still don't know it's 2018 and we have things like Paypal. And the business still has to write a few for those companies that just can't seem to update their systems for better methods.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Hartland of Michigan
    Posts
    7,083
    FREE! We just ordered 200 checks from the bank.
    Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •