Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost of your blank personal checks.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    The last time I ordered checks I checked around and ,while I don't remember exactly what they cost , I found that Walmart was the least expensive.
    Been ordering from Walmart for years. Never any problems. We chose Walmart, because bank wanted WAY TOO MUCH! Looking at shipping labels, looks like Walmarts comes from same zip code as the ones from the bank. How many check printers are located in same zip code?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Been ordering from Walmart for years. Never any problems. We chose Walmart, because bank wanted WAY TOO MUCH! Looking at shipping labels, looks like Walmarts comes from same zip code as the ones from the bank. How many check printers are located in same zip code?

Go figure. I order most EVERYTHING from Walmart. Never gave them a thought for printed checks.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

To put it in perspective, the last time I ordered checks on my US Bank account, they were free. I don't think anything has been free at US Bank for the past 15 years. My checks still have a Montana address on them, and that was a few moves ago.

I asked the wife and she said she paid about $17 for 250. She always shops around and finds the best deal.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

I've found Costco to be very reasonable

Mine are always free thru Chase......just got a new box 2 weeks ago.

Ed

My checks are free also. Standard check with name. Who needs birds and flowers on a check. I pay all bills with checks. I do not trust internet for anything. Have never been burned or lost check. Been doing it for over 50 years. I pay cash at registers and only use credit when item is very large. Old school still works and we need to get back to it.

Why don't you all pay in Bitcoin.
    John T.

7. I've been buying personal and business checks from checkworks.com for almost 20 years. Pricing has always been good and they ship the orders quickly.

I used checks in my business and when I last orders, got 300 business style checks for $40.00 from some large internet check printing outfit. Ordered from them for the last 20 years. I tend to plan out how to reduce certain expenses. For instance, my office electric bill ran about $30 a month. I could send them a check every month, which cost, my time, a stamp, cost of a check, envelope etc. So instead, I sent them a check to pay six months in advance. Same for the newspaper, and other relatively minor monthly bills. Now I send them an electronic payment every six months. My time logging in and paying the bill is cut way back. Some businesses, I do not trust and will only pay every month. Like cable. For some reason, my cable bill is different every month, without any pay per view etc. To get the channels I want I need to buy 60 channels I do not want. I do not watch sports on tv, except the winter olympics, and I resent paying a regional sports access fee for something I do not use. I also resent paying a local channel acces fee for them to supply what local channels I get for free with an antennna. I about about to cut the cord on them anyway.

for those who still deal in cash for most everything, electronic transactions give a paper trail for nearly everything. Including states that want to clamp down on those who buy on line to avoid sales tax. Buying large items in cash no results in each large transaction being reported to the government. Last I checked, sales over $500 in cash were noted to be reported. Every time I take a few hundred in cash to the bank, they do a special report. That sort of thing triggers tax audits etc.

Free with senior account at our CU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Have to say a little nervous about giving banking info to a third party.
    The only info you give them is the info that gets printed on your checks...so it's the same info you're giving to literally everyone you write a check to.

My online bank sends me checks for free whenever I ask.

Blog Entries
    We haven’t had checks for over ten years. Occasionally, I need to send a check. A cashiers’ check from the bank (free to us) serves for when I paper check is required.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    [edited]
    for those who still deal in cash for most everything, electronic transactions give a paper trail for nearly everything. Including states that want to clamp down on those who buy on line to avoid sales tax. Buying large items in cash no results in each large transaction being reported to the government. Last I checked, sales over $500 in cash were noted to be reported. Every time I take a few hundred in cash to the bank, they do a special report. That sort of thing triggers tax audits etc.
    Not much we purchase on line will be over a few hundred dollars. This has piqued my interest, do states somehow acquire information about their citizens online purchases?

On cash sales the vendor may be able to report it, but usually most stores do not ask for an ID on a cash transaction. Radio Shack used to, but most of the time they were told my business could be done elsewhere if they insisted. At times their persistence left me no option but to leave my items at the register and walk out. Their system didn't work well and after giving my address to them they would send copies of their flyer to my home in a quantity equal to the number of times my address was given. Amazing that a corporation in the business of technology couldn't have a system in place to handle the information they were trying to gather. Anyone who knows the Radio Shack story knows their glory days were in the past.

Usually my purchases of electronic parts and items would be done at other suppliers until the reason for not shopping Radio Shack was forgotten. Then a quick reminder at the register would come like a stinging slap across the face.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, I lived the Radio Shack story for nearly 8 years in the 1980s...and yes, the manual systems really "bit the big one". It was a revelation when we got the ability to transmit daily sales information and print out orders/inventory from the in-store TRS-80 Model III with that huge 10mb hard drive and speedy 300 baud dial-up modem. One got really good at mental math, too, since there was just a manual cash drawer and no register. That did change in later years, but "back in the day", running the store was a major manual process. Fortunately, I made really good money off the P&L until I couldn't handle the 70 hour weeks anymore as a manager in a mall store often got stuck doing because of the requirement to be open when the mall was open, even if employees (subsequently former employees...) failed to show up for work. The fines from the mall were huge and went directly to the bottom line if you failed to be open. That said, the store, itself, was a really good place for folks to get the things that we sold and there's now a real gap in the market for folks who like to browse. That parts wall alone had about 3000 SKUs (most I knew the stock numbers by heart by the end of those almost 8 years) and quite often, that was what got someone in the store.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's a little different here north of the border. I go to my local Credit Union and ask for cheques and the teller goes in the back, prints them, comes back and hands me a couple booklets of 25 cheques and off I go. No charges and no waiting for the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Is the $500 cash a state thing? The Federal government only requires banks to report cash transactions over $10,000. I deposit over $500 cash in the summer at least once a month with no special reporting I know of.