Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost of your blank personal checks.

Cost of your blank personal checks.

I know, "Who writes personal checks" But sometimes that's the only option.

It has been years since I ordered personal checks from the bank. I logged on to my account and started seeing prices like 25 blank checks for $30.00 Two boxes of blank checks just over $90.00
    I have no idea what I paid before but know it was not anything close to what I am seeing. I asked family and coworkers and they all said they did not know. They just ordered them and had their account billed.

What are you paying for blank checks from your bank? If you don't know, you better look next time.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    The last time we bought checks they weren't that expensive. This was at a time when we still paid a lot of bills every month by check. We bought 800 checks or 4 boxes. We are still using them even though it getting to be 10 years since we moved from California to Washington.

It looks like they are currently having a deal:

Checks In The Mail.jpg

checksinthemail.com

Our current checks have what looks like a child drew them with a crayon. When our son was young we would tell people he designed them. He would always say, "no I didn't." When we stopped saying that and folks commented on them he would then say, "I drew them."

At one time we used a check style that was a fairly plain background with the word "MONEY" in very large letters across the face. People would look at the check and kind of zombie like say, "okay, thank you" and wouldn't even ask for an ID. That kind of scared us at the thought of how subliminal they were and what would happen if someone got a hold of a few of them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Last time we ordered checks (Credit Union) we paid $20.47 for a box of 100.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I just got 120 checks for $7.40 from my credit union, but it is a new account. I usually order checks online as financial institutions most often charge an arm and a leg.

Last time I ordered checks (within the last year) the basic checks were free. You could customize them, and that looked like it could get expensive quickly.

Honestly, we don't use checks. The last time we ordered checks was over a decade ago and we still have multiple decades to go. We use maybe 5 checks a year.

Blog Entries
    Check out local credit unions. I have a checking account with one but use their credit/debit card. Not only is it free but they pay me interest on the balance. If I use the credit/debit card 12 times per month they pay me higher interest on the balance up to $25K.
    Once you get used to using a card you'll probably never go back to checks. It's very convenient.
    My wife still writes checks. Refuses to try the card, sooo, I have to buy more things to get the higher interest.

My checks are free from TDBank. I only need to pay a small secure shipping fee.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

$22.40 for a box that is about 100. I will probably still have plenty when checks cease to exist.

We paid about $7 for 200 maybe 4-5 years ago. We still have 125+ left.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

My credit union gives me checks free of charge. That also includes shipping charges (none). All I had to do was show that I was on Social Security.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    The last time I ordered checks I checked around and ,while I don't remember exactly what they cost , I found that Walmart was the least expensive.
    Dennis

I did a quick search and found one place selling checks for $3.95 per pack which doesn't seem to be too bad.

http://www.supervaluechecks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I did a quick search and found one place selling checks for $3.95 per pack which doesn't seem to be too bad.

http://www.supervaluechecks.com/

The price is right for sure.
    Have to say a little nervous about giving banking info to a third party.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    The price is right for sure.
    Have to say a little nervous about giving banking info to a third party.
    While I don't want or need to do this with my current relationship with TDBank, in the past, I ordered checks from more than one of the "big houses" that routinely sell checks to end-consumers. They are all pretty darn careful about PII...they have a lot to lose if they weren't. Stick with known entities and you'll be fine. And all of them will be much better priced than many banks seem to be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...