Thread: The Acorn Project

The Acorn Project

Guys...
    There is another thread or 2 here on SMC regarding quality of US vs Asian made products. Truth is that you can get good or bad from either. Surely we have to (at least to ourselves) admit that we shouldn't expect the same quality from 2 products with vastly different prices. Yet we do.

One of the most glaring examples of this is comparing a $200 handheld router to a $2000 3 phase spindle. Happens all the time. A Yugo compared to a BMW. Yes, in either case they will get the job done, but yet there is no reasonable comparison. The reality is that many of us cannot afford a BMW. That's fine, I am one, but I don't try to make a comparison saying that my Chevy compares with a Beamer. Cuz it don't.

My current project started out as a control retrofit using the relatively new (less than a year) Acorn Control by Centroid. Centroid isn't new, as they have been producing industrial controllers for 30+ years. What is new is their foray into the small CNC and DIY markets. They use the fairly common these days forum approach for the majority of tech support, with the addition of seldom seen (on others) close monitoring by factory techs and engineers. Like the "good ones of old" there is a good number of CNC savvy users that also populate their forum.

I purchased 2 generic Chinese "6090" machines from an online vendor. The first was up on the bench measured and squared up, a few minor electronics changes, UCCNC installed, test run, calibrated, custom macros installed and listed for sale on this forum on a Sunday night, sold within hours and was being uncrated in Brooklyn, NY the following Friday noon. Shows the power and value of this forum.

The second was a different story. Missing pieces, out of square, wiring errors, gantry beam was 1/8 out of parallel with the table/frame, the list goes on. Since I had a mission of serious upgrades anyway, I did a "frame up resto mod" to coin a hot-rodding term. The links below show the first 3 videos of ?? showing the build and what I did to "blueprint" the machine.

What's important here is to learn what we can learn. The differences in these two builds were obvious. That said as a service tech I have seen over a hundred machines, assembled by inexperienced users, that were worse. I have purchased US made machines that were worse. I have seen DIY machines that were waaaaay worse. What is important to learn is that if a CNC owner wishes to take the time, these machines can be amazingly precise. Some of that "quality of build" lays at the feet of the original assembler at the factory, the rest with the daily operator.

Most shop guys don't have the equipment to test and verify CNC machines like I do, but there is huge amount of information that the cut will tell you. I always look for what's wrong, most owners seem to assume a machine is right and blame software when problems arise. These 2 little machines were my 17th and 18th respectively. Each has been an enjoyable learning process, and I wish I could keep them all. Sadly to fuel my expensive hobby of modding CNC machines I need the proceeds from the sale of this one to finance the next.

The current "Acorn Project" machine is a long term demo. I will use it for my journey into learning the Centroid Control system. After a few weeks it seems near the top of the list with everything going for it. Once I am familiar with the control system, a 4th axis will be added and the machine will be used as a demo machine at Jim McGrew's Aspire Camp in April alongside those from various other mfgr's.

Enjoy:

PART 1: https://youtu.be/g9JoS18-nXA

PART 2: https://youtu.be/rDtjBturMA0

PART 3: https://youtu.be/-kiKIQrRgig
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Great info as always Gary. I have been watching your new videos and noticed the Acorn banner at the start.

The videos are quite interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing "the actual machine" at McGrew's in April.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for these videos Gary, you really clarified a lot of stuff that has been confusing to me.

It was sobering to see the shoddy and crude workmanship on the frame of that machine. You mentioned that you had picked up 2 routers at the same time, were they both from the same manufacturer? And was only one of them that poorly constructed?

Richard...
    Remember when I said: "It is important to learn what we can learn"? Which appears you did.

I would clarify that the construction was mediocre on both, but the assembly was far worse on one. One I was able to tweak within an acceptable range, the other I had to remachine to get even close. That part was on the guy who built the machine.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Yes, the education continues... thank you.

Interesting that the cast iron base was good, have to wonder if they come from a different supplier, and then the aluminum, mechanics, and electrical work is done by all the individual builders/assemblers. Would be cool to have a detailed overview of how cnc router manufacturing in China really works!

Thinking of the Blue Elephant thread, your video really underscores the risk of purchasing a machine from China. Imagine having to do that on a 4' x 8' router, would need some BIG machines and measuring instruments.

I have received a PM and an email asking for more info on what tools or methods that were used to "qualify" or "blueprint" this type of build.

The methods are basically a ground up check and recheck of all motion components starting at the table linear rails and working my way up and out to the Z. Remachining, replacing and shimming components as the build progresses. To perform the measurements I use a number of precision tools and instruments that I have accumulated over the years. I will list them, sometimes with a brand. Rest assured that these rather expensive tools have replaced less costly versions, and their cost cannot usually be justified for a "one-off" project.

48" precision machined steel straightedge
    8 by 12 precision square
    Starrett 36" precision rule
    Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper
    Mitutoyo Digital dial indicators
    Digital Angle Indicator (.01*)
    Edge Technologies Tram Gauge
    Set of 1/2 to 1 5/8 parallels
    123 blocks and ground angles
    Machinists' Jacks
    Hammer
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Just in! Hot off the email presses!

I said that I had sold one of these "twin" machines. That machine went to NEOSET DESIGNS in Brooklyn, NY. There are some guys there that are both freaky smart and ingenious. So, when they asked if I could turn the Z axis upside down and do a couple other small modifications before it shipped, I said OK.

Now we can all know why. The 2 by 3 machine, in its entirety has been mounted on a freaking huge robotic arm and the upside down Z will be cutting into a.... well, I will leave that for a future picture.

Robot Arm.jpg
    Last edited by Gary Campbell; 02-14-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

This is getting even more interesting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gary, if you had known it was going to be upside down would you have done anything differently?

Richard...
    Not really. Since this machine is on linear rails, it doesn't care how it is oriented. Other than turning the Z upside down, changing the directions of the motors and cable chain troughs, there would be little else needed. I am happy I was able to assist.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

2 more videos in the "Acorn" series:

Control modifications: https://youtu.be/TLOtXTOSUWo

Z setting options: https://youtu.be/xqTpEXHOWPw
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Another step in the process: https://youtu.be/kig3a0skWU0
    Gary Campbell