Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Build?

Next Build?

Daughter was "hinting" that she would like a cabinet like the last build....or a Chest of Drawers.....hmmmm

Have another week or so, before I can go and buy a supply of lumber....since she has a penchant for painting all the projects I build for her..

I may just stop by Menard's in about a week, and load up on some Pine 1xs.....and see about building a "paint grade" version of the one I just completed..

Trying to figure how many boards to get...last one was 45bf. Not sure whether to buy 1x6s and 1 x 8s....or just all 1 x 6"s....

I can sort through the bins as much as I want....wondering what length to buy....8'? 10'? A boatload of 6'ers?

I could make the bottom case all drawers? Save the door work for the top cabinet? Might even get a 1 x 10 to build the "Bookcase" parts....sides and top.

Wondering IF anyone would like to read along?

Always enjoy your threads.

Sure.... Sounds like a fun build!

Just talked with my Daughter.....drawers have been vetoed in the lower cabinet. She wants to be able to slide a few "bins" onto three shelves. No door. Still wants the "Bookcase" as is...and wants the little drawer between the two units. Pine has been approved, as in paint grade....I'll sand it down, and have it ready for primer & paint..and then hand her the brushes...

Need to buy a couple of the bins she wants, to get the spacings for the shelves. Shelves MAY be Pine,...or maybe plywood, again....hmmm. Wants a face frame to cover the front of the shelves.. More dovetails. Need to sketch out a few things, to figure out a cut list. Going to be a LOT of glue-ups....

How far are you from Lima? I noted on Craigslist that their is a sawyer/mill that has poplar 4/4 for $2.10 a bf. IMHO poplar is easier to work with pine and a little more durable.
    Noted another guy in Ottawa, OH with poplar at .50 bf - 75 ft. Claims that it is kiln dried.
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 02-10-2018 at 7:28 PM.

Question with those two ( I live in Bellefontaine,OH)) would be what IF I need just that one extra board later in the build....and these two don't have one?

Menard's does offer Poplar, as does Lowes......I get a better price and selection at Menard's. And, I can always go back and pick up that extra plank if needed...

There are a couple Amish sawmills in the area...although one did burn down a while back...they are more geared towards the Pallet Business all the other Amish seem to be doing.....

Steven,

Sounds like your "next project" has been decided. I don't know about you, but I am an easy mark for my daughters.....I am not good enough yet to build anything as big as what you build though. Fortunately, I don't think they realize how easy of a mark I am. They do know, however, that I am an easy mark for the grand kids.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-11-2018 at 3:56 PM.

Wire Baskets ( 2, so far) are in hand.....NOW I can figure out some sort of cut list......Looking like a Stack of 1 x 8s, a couple 1 x 2s, and a couple ( or four?) 1 x 10s....
    Shelves will be glued up panels...just Pine, after all Book case will use a few ! x 10s, including singles for it's shelves (3)....Top of it may be a glue up...

!0 footers would be pushing things getting them home in the van....rather not strap them down to the top of the van....will see how 6 footers add up, and maybe 8 footers..
    1 x 2s are for the face frames, and the door frame ( Bookcase...will also get a raised panel..)

Since I usually get paid on the third Wednesday of each month, will have to wait until then...
    Will need to remember leather gloves to wear, when I go....splinters, and staples are a real danger to bare handed shopping...DAMHIKT...

Will be a lot of glue ups, as I will need a few panels made. Might lead to more cussing? Panels need to be about 16-18" wide, door panel may be a bit wider.
    Maybe 3' long? Depends on the spacing I use.

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is now working Overtime.....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 02-12-2018 at 6:17 PM.

Upon further review....not too sure about these baskets she wants....I tried out the pair where the drawer on the lower cabinet is....both fit in....might have even fit IN the drawer....hmmm..
    IMG_3139 (640x480).jpg
    5" tall, by 8-3/4" wide, by 11" long...
    IMG_3141 (640x480).jpg
    The Boss says these are the biggest they had...may need to rethink something here....maybe 4 shelves..with a center guide strip, and along the sides?
    May have my Daughter back up here, and talk this through a little better?

Til then..I do have some "leftovers" to practice with Ash and Maple, and Poplar cut-offs....maybe something small, like another fancy box?
    Last edited by steven c newman; 02-13-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Photos

Blog Entries
    I am partial to curly maple.

Did an inventory of sorts.....or should I say "shorts"?
    IMG_3142 (640x480).jpg
    What is left of the Maple, and Poplar...and a bit of 1/4" plywood..
    IMG_3143 (640x480).jpg
    Mainly Pine, some Walnut scraps..a piece of cherry...
    IMG_3145 (640x480).jpg
    What is left of the Ash....hmmmm, need to spend a day, clearing off the bench?
    IMG_3146 (640x480).jpg
    Ya think?......Upstairs there is still a tool tote
    IMG_3152 (640x480).jpg
    Might have to find out what all is in this thing....anyone what to know?
    IMG_3151 (640x480).jpg
    Kind of hard to get a decent light..
    IMG_3148 (640x480).jpg
    Before anyone hollars about the sawsall...I do have a Mikita corded version....I save this Tool Shop thingy for rough, and wet stuff....
    See IF you can ID anything else in that tote?

Or..do I have to spread it all out?

Hmmm, two straight days of a cramp in the back off the left calf.....same spot. Will not let me up and down the steps to the shop....barely made it yesterday.

As long as I can sit, I am fine....almost. Either the thermostat is set too high, or I am just plain roasting...

Was going to work most of today in the shop....resaws and a few rip cuts....trying to get enough 3/8" -1/2" thick parts, to make a fancy box from the Ash....going to be a while, now.

Ok, Daughter stopped by...NOW we know which bins she wants to use....I get to keep the drawer....and store the two wire baskets in it. Not enough in the bank this weekend to buy a load of wood, though. May cobble something out of Ash....to keep things going in the shop...

Leg has started to straighten out...."Uncle Charles" is under control. Might be able to get to the shop, and "putter" tomorrow...

Stay tuned...

Charlie is a pain in the leg.
    I like the idea of the bins in the drawer.
    Cobble away. Ash is one of my very favorite woods to work with. I don't get enough of it. That and Walnut.

Trying to make a "cut list" up...the "Sketch-up" is in my head.....Need to write down a shopping ling of boards I need to buy.

Base unit will be about 4" taller.
    Still need to build a drawer in it.

Two shelves..will get a piece of 3/4" x 2' x 4' and make one saw cut.
    Sides are glued up panels...three 1 x 6 x 36" per glue up. Think three 1 x 6 x 6'
    Top of base unit will need 1 x 8 x 26"....one 8' should do that...three board glue up.
    Drawer needs a 1 x 8 x 8 Front and two sides. Might have enough Poplar left over for the drawer's back...
    Need enough 1 x 2 x 8' to make 2 web frames, and a face frame...
    Need enough 1/4" Luann Plywood for the back of the case, and a drawer bottom...

The above was done in my head....may need an extra stick, just in case of bad spots.

Upper unit:
    1 x 10 x 8' ...will need 3.
    1 x 8 x 8' ...will need another 3...top and raised panel door.
    A few more 1 x 2s....frame for the door panel to reside in, and a face frame.

Unit will use 36" long pieces for the sides, and 24" long pieces for the three shelves.

I have plenty of hardware on hand.....depends on the hinges she wants, and the handles used.

Nothing done with the Ash, today.....motivation hasn't shown up yet.

Waiting on the funds to go and buy a few pine boards to get things started...

Stay tuned