Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Next Build?

Got the counter sinks done, then start some assembly..
    IMG_3521 (640x480).jpg
    Diagonal clamp to pull things square..
    IMG_3522 (640x480).jpg
    And...since the bench is now full of drawer and clamps....that will do for today's adventures....will let the glue cure until tomorrow..
    Stay tuned...about ready to build the book case half of the project...

Drawer was removed from the clamps last night...10 hours should be enough time. Drawer was slid into the case, to find out where the tight spots are.

Maybe I should post a little "How-to" on drawer building? Nah....would just get shouted down...

MRI this afternoon...may work on the drawer when I get back home. Monday? May take the day off....

Stay tuned

Nice work. I certainly appreciate your threads.
    Good luck with the scan.

Still waiting on how the scan turned out....30 minute trip in an oversized clothes dryer.

Got bored tonight...got out some toys..
    toys.jpg
    And trimmed the dovetails as needed. The hole where the groove showed...shavings were stuffed into the hole with a spot of glue, then sanded smooth.

Stanley No. 20 square to mark a centerline to show where the back of the drawer is..
    center line.jpg
    Then, since I don't trust nails...three screws were used..
    screwed down.jpg
    Now, the drawer front had this huge knot. I drilled a hole about in the middle of it..
    drilled.jpg
    I also marked a matching spot at the other end of the front....why the bolt? Best way to make a knot vanish..
    knot knob.jpg
    A lot of glue under the knob, crank things down tight. Add the second knob..
    two knobs.jpg
    Will work on plug the holes tomorrow, if I feel up to it..time for a PIP?
    PIP.jpg
    This is what she wants...open shelves for baskets, and a drawer. I might get a can of Golden Oak, and then a few coats of Amber Shellac....and see how it turns out. Lumber for the plugs..
    plug board.jpg
    Will use one of the very few Veritas toys I have..
    A 3/8" tapered plug cutter. maybe I can install all the plugs, and get them trimmed flush, by this time tomorrow night?

Stay tuned...

Coming along nicely, Steven. Although I’m not apposed to knots and other character in wood, your hide the knot with a knob worked out well. Hope the results of your scan are positive.

Dropping back, yet again...thread getting a tad long?

Two dozen plugs were cut last night..
    plug cutter.jpg
    One of the very few toys from Veritas I have in the shop. Have had it for a long time.
    plug board.jpg
    Used this scrap of pine....tried to stay out on the white section, the red area wouldn't match where the plugs will go.

Maybe after Lunch today, I can pop the plugs out, coat the smaller end with glue, and install them? let the glue sit a bit, then trim the plugs down flush. IF I watch how the grain on the plug and the hole are..the finished plug will just blend right in...we'll see
    Stay tuned..

I've used plugs to repair fretboards. If you get it right, it's a beautiful thing.

This one may take a couple posts...
    Plugs..
    IMG_3532 (640x480).jpg
    Hope I have enough of them....tools?
    IMG_3533 (640x480).jpg
    Screwdriver to pop the plugs out, chisel the trim the waste off when the glue has set, block plane to flush the plugs...hammer to set the plugs and drive the chisel..
    IMG_3536 (640x480).jpg
    Pop one out, grab the fat end between the thumb and finger, align the grain with the thumb, coat narrow end with glue
    IMG_3534 (640x480).jpg
    Hammer to drive each plug home. Took awhile,,,
    IMG_3537 (640x480).jpg
    Had to tip the case back a bit, so I could reach the lower holes....Let these set awhile..
    IMG_3545 (640x480).jpg
    Had just enough plugs, looks like. Cleared the bench..
    IMG_3538 (640x480).jpg

Needed something to do, while waiting on the glue..
    IMG_3539 (640x480).jpg
    The "better" looking of these two 1 x 10s will be cut into two 36" long sides, for the bookcase. The ugly one under it...gets made into three shelves..
    Part 2 coming up..stay tuned

Roh-kay, Raggy.....The shelf blanks needed all sorts of things done to them, to make them match each other..jointed..
    IMG_3541 (640x480).jpg
    Ends "shot"
    IMG_3542 (640x480).jpg
    Left this ganged up...will cut sliding dovetails later this week. Glue has set up enough, by now..
    IMG_3543 (640x480).jpg
    Bevel down, one tap with the hammer....waste part of the pug flies right off...
    IMG_3544 (640x480).jpg
    Bevel up usually results in the chisel digging a trench. Block plane to smooth the area down..
    IMG_3547 (640x480).jpg
    Need to come back with a chisel, to clean out along the beads.
    IMG_3550 (640x480).jpg
    Looks a bit better. Drawer tended to slide too far into the case...added a screw into the back edge of each drawer side...now I can adjust how far the drawer slides in.
    Will let this sit, while I build the upper unit..
    IMG_3549 (640x480).jpg
    Hmmm, maybe a coat of Golden Oak stain, and a couple of Amber Shellac? Maybe make things look to good to paint?
    Stay tuned...the cussing will start next time in the shop..

Thinking ahead...need to mill a rebate along the back edges of the two sides of the bookcase....Stanley 45, or Wards 78...hmmm.

Third 1 x 10 x 6' plank can make a top for the case, and a few other parts. I have a few boards set back, to make a panel for the door. Two are that "freckled" Pine like the drawer front. Was unable to find a second such board....may just add plain Pine to fill it out. Need a few 1-1/2" wide pieces for a face frame, and a frame around the door panel. Going to be a bunch of cutting and fitting going on....need to buy one more 1/4" plywood panel, for the back of the case. have enough for the drawer that goes between the two cases, that hides the cleats the top case is fitted to.

May need to take a pad and pencil to the shop, next time...to keep track of what part goes where, and what size it needs to be...

As always..stay tuned

Dropping back again....
    ran a plane around today..
    IMG_3561 (640x480).jpg
    Wards 78 (Stanley) as I needed to mill a rebate for the plywood back..
    IMG_3562 (640x480).jpg
    Once I figured out which was the inside, and the back of these side boards..
    IMG_3563 (640x480).jpg
    Might have this set up just about right?
    IMG_3565 (640x480).jpg
    Got both side boards milled. Time to mill some grooves..
    IMG_3573 (640x480).jpg
    Dovetail bit in the router, set the guide fence, and mill a few sliding dovetail sockets...
    IMG_3578 (640x480).jpg
    Needed the big squares to transfer the lines for the guide to the second board, and mill those
    IMG_3579 (640x480).jpg
    Moved these two out of the way....have other items to do...
    IMG_3583 (640x480).jpg
    Two settings of the router's guide fence, once around the outside, reset to run the two inner grooves..
    Stay tuned..

Got the other end of these three shelves milled..
    IMG_3584 (640x480).jpg
    Unclamped the mess, and started to slide the parts together..no glue....Middle shelf was a tad tight..hammer and a block of Maple to set it straight...set the assembly up on the case..
    IMG_3585 (640x480).jpg
    Going to be a tall one, again.

Can start to glue up the top, and build a face frame . Then maybe a drawer? We'll see how it goes...

Stay tuned

That ain't a plane, that's a Q-36 Space Modulator.
    Golden Oak seems to be a go to for pine. Got some around, I think. Will have to give it a shot.
    And yeah, I'd need a list for all them parts there, too.

BTW, nice work!

I would have to refigure all the parts I have used for this....cut list is IN the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up...somewhere....

Have a board to cut down today.....
    split.jpg
    Have one more 1 x 10 x 6' there is a huge knot right at the 3' mark...I'll chop the knot out today, and try to build a top for the case. The remains will be used to make either the face frame parts, parts for the door panel, or parts to build a frame to hold the raised panel for the door's panels.

Lots of rip cuts coming up....don't feel like running the handsaws for that. Crosscuts? Should be with the handsaws, smaller cuts with the Langdon75...Maybe after Lunch, I can meander towards the shop...have to carry a board as I go...

Stay tuned..Bookcase build is started..