Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Build?

Been dry down there, so far..

Panel is out of the clamps....need to schedule enough time IN the shop, to get something done.....

Cleaned things up a bit..
    IMG_3203 (640x480).jpg
    Ran a smaller plane a bit
    IMG_3204 (640x480).jpg
    Stanley #4. Laid both together, to see how close they are to matching each other...ran a square on the ends...
    IMG_3207 (640x480).jpg
    Will try to shoot the ends...a few high spots....one panel was both wider and longer than the other..
    IMG_3206 (640x480).jpg
    Might be able to joint that off, with the #8....
    IMG_3208 (640x480).jpg
    Might just saw the ends square, by clamping them together.
    Maybe tomorrow, I can get the entire afternoon and evening to hide IN the shop?
    Once these two are matched up, I can saw the foot profiles. Stay tuned...

Late start today...but..
    IMG_3211 (640x480).jpg
    Ganged the two panels up, and trimmed the ends square. Now they match each other for height...
    IMG_3212 (640x480).jpg
    Left them ganged up. and jointed the edges so they matched up. Set up the Wards 78..
    IMG_3221 (640x480).jpg
    to mill a rebate for the case's back to hide in...also used a few toys..
    IMG_3214 (640x480).jpg
    To lay out, and cut out the profifle for the feet..
    IMG_3215 (640x480).jpg
    Nuttin fancy....set the panels to where I could figure out which was the inside, before that rebate was done...
    Then set up to lay out a few sliding dovetail sockets...
    IMG_3228 (640x480).jpg
    Used a scrap from the 1 x2 I'll be making the webframes from. Needed a space at the top, for braces to attch the top to. Used a drawer side blank and that scrap. Needed a kicker, and where the frame the drawer will ride on.
    BRB, need a bit more room....4 hours of shoptime... Stay tuned...

I'm curious on how a panel set into that rebate is attached. Do you simply glue it in, use screws?

Ok, all that layout was to locate where the sliding dovetails would go....used the bit to mark the center line..
    IMG_3225 (640x480).jpg
    Then set up the fence, again...
    IMG_3232 (640x480).jpg
    Depth of cut was 3/8" deep. Doesn't take very long to set up for each cut. Distance from the center of the bit, to the edge of the router. Used the framing square to make two marks, then draw a line to set the fence to. Make the cut, move down the panel...
    IMG_3235 (640x480).jpg
    Once one panel was done, I transferred the marks for the fence to the other panel

IMG_3236 (640x480).jpg

Framing square to carry the marks across the panel. set the fence a few times...
    IMG_3238 (640x480).jpg
    Some spots were a bit tricky to cut, though..
    IMG_3227 (640x480).jpg
    Had to come in as a climb cut, to avoid blowing that knot out...then cleaned the shop up, since the panels were done.
    Decided to set up to make parts for the 4 web-frames I need to make. Bench was cleared off, and a small mitre saw was set up..
    IMG_3239 (640x480).jpg
    Going to be fun...tomorrow. Back stiffened up, time to close up for the day. Might have gotten a little bit done, today
    Those web-frames are to slide into the dovetail slots....two will get a plywood "skin" on the top...to make the two shelves.
    Stay tuned...

Glue and screws...I don't trust nails. I use the plywood panel to help square the case...I get one corner, then one side, then work along until it is all in place...usually there is a screw into each web-frame, near it's center..

What do you mean by climb cut?

When you bring the router through a cut the "wrong" direction....where the rotation of the bit "pulls" you along.

Thanks, Steven. And yeah, don't like nails, either.

This morning...have hauled the 1 x 2 x8' sticks to the shop.....IF I can get a bit of shop time, I'll start to cut them down to the sizes needed. Four webframes, one with a kicker, and a face frame of two stiles and four rails.....IF everything goes as planned ( and a wee bit of luck) I can start to get them built..I hope.

Got the parts cut....
    IMG_3248 (640x480).jpg
    Eight rails for the web-frames..
    IMG_3249 (640x480).jpg
    Eight stiles for the web-frames...
    IMG_3250 (640x480).jpg
    Four rails for the face frame, and..
    IMG_3251 (640x480).jpg
    Two stiles for the face frame. need to put this mitresaw away, time for the other one..
    IMG_3253 (640x480).jpg
    Langdon 75...need to set the depth stops..
    IMG_3252 (640x480).jpg
    Also got out a stock holder, to help hold the parts..
    IMG_3254 (640x480).jpg
    So I can start making tenons....stay tuned..

I could have bought one of those big mitre saws, a Stanley, I think, from the same wood worker I bought my vise from. It was in great shape, but it was just too big;don't have the room. But I slobbered all over myself looking at it.
    He had a Moxon vise for cheap, too, but it was too wide for my bench. If he is around this year, and still has it, I'll buy it and store it in the dang shed. Both of them.

Normal Monday....chisel poked a hole in my hand....Thought I'd put a few things away....wound up working for over 2 hours....this will take a few entries ( 30+ photos?)
    Hung the saw up with the other two..
    hung up.jpg
    And set up the mitre box to be stowed away..
    stowed away.jpg
    This way I can stash it out of the way. Dug up the mortise jig..
    mortise jig.jpg
    Set this aside until later....have to find out what size to make the tenons, first
    Used a piece of scrap the same size as the stiles, to mark where they will be on top of the panels...
    test piece.jpg
    Marked the front and back. Then grabbed a rail, got it centered between the two, and marked for tenon length..
    IMG_3270 (640x480).jpg
    On each end...then marked the thickness of the tenons..1/4" or so and set up the Langdon Mitresaw. Once the thickness was marked out, a test cut was made..
    depth of cut.jpg
    Left the saw like this, while I adjusted the depth stops..
    depth stop.jpg
    With the saw's spine resting on the guide's bearings. Otherwise, it will cut too deep..DAMHIKT
    Once that was set, I could mark the rest of the rails, and make a bunch of cuts..
    shoulder cuts.jpg
    Shoulder cuts were done on both ends, have 8 rails to get done...

Stay tuned for part 2 of today's follies...

Ok..Part 2, coming up....
    Once all the shoulder cuts were done, cheek cuts were next. I don't think the mitre can do those very well....so
    bandsawn.jpg
    Bandsaw works..IF the edges are square to the sides....we have ways to fix that..
    millers falls 8.jpg
    Just one at a time? A Millers Falls No.8 works well....took a while, but
    tenons done.jpg
    All 8 rails now have tenons...one tenon did need a trim, though..
    trimmed.jpg
    With a "Chin-Powered" chisel...Stacked all the rails out of the way, except one, needed it to lay out the mortises...
    Got out the tools, first..
    toys 1.jpg
    laid out a mortise...
    laid out.jpg
    Saw the lines..
    sawn.jpg
    Then scoot the stile back into the jig, and chop and pop the waste out..then a dry fit
    dry fit.jpg
    There are now two mortises done...14 more to do...
    Maybe next time....camera battery was about dead, back was hurting, again...I swept the floor, and closed the shop...@ 1700 hrs.

Stay tuned....

Ok...the skinniest chisel I am using right now...
    IMG_3285 (640x480).jpg
    The one on the left...
    Well to start the work off yesterday, it decided to skip out of a cut..and into the side of my hand..
    OW.jpg
    Started as a "slice" then turned over into a "dig"....That will teach me about working on a Monday in the shop.

Tuesday morning, I test fitted the second mortise,,was a bit too tight....wound up splitting out the side.....trimmed the tenon down until it did fit, cleaned out the mortise a bit better..applied glue to the tenon, and added a clamp to hold it and the mortise together, until the glue dried.....I also glued the other end's joint.

Cardio Doctor's visit today, then a bit of shopping, just now settling down to dinner. Bought a few planks for the bookcase unit....have them sitting in the house, to get them used to the place. Once this lower cabinet is done, I can get started on the bookcase..I hope..

Stay tuned