Thread: Corsan Denton Burdekin & Co handsaw

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )

Corsan Denton Burdekin & Co handsaw

To the Braintrust:

I was at the local H for H earlier in the week - the manageress knows me by name ( maybe I have a problem? )..

Anyway, looking at the handsaws, I see a moderately whizzed, older saw, nib, filed rip from 20 feet away. 26'' toothline, a 3/8'' crack at one tooth on the plate, handle fasteners are missing, but some bonehead added a couple 10/24 bolts with nylock nuts to the cracked, crappily repaired handle - looks to be apple - not enough medullary rays for beech. Nicely executed, bottom horn missing, not a lamb's tongue example. The holes in the handle line up with the three holes I can see in the saw plate - really small too - about 1/8'' on one side, 3/16'' on the other. Nearly 6'' wide at the handle, 1-3/4'' near the toe and pretty darn straight.Will try to get pictures, but nothing spectacular.

Regardless, the somewhat pitted blade has ' CORSAN DENTON BURDEKIN' in an arch, ' Warrantied Cast Steel ' on the flat underneath the arch.

I took it up to the counter, as it had a $5.00 sticker on it ( Canadian $$ ) and manageress Luanne says ' you found one ' - I replied, it is a basket case, pointing out all the issues, but said ' I guess it is about 1870 vintage ' - she let out a yip and couldn't believe it.

Well, I punch in the name into Google - C D B made knives and straight razors, lots of them - really nice English quality - from 1852 to 1862 then sold out and the name changed, so I am sure it has to be in that 10 year range. HOWEVER, I can only find a couple backsaws - no handsaws at all. I spent a fair amount of time on the computer - to no avail.

Anyone have any info they can share ?? I can't even find a decent writeup on the company - just a few snippets, mostly on backsaw.net. Maybe someone has a reference book that will help? Being on the West Coast, Neander Tools of this vintage are not common, at all, and will likely be the oldest example in my collection.

Thanks for putting up with this computer challenged guy!!

Dave B

I just google occasionally until the working dates and a sentence or two turn up.