Thread: So, how badly did I screw up?

So, how badly did I screw up?

I just bought a refurb Festool ETS 125 REQ for 25% off. I tried it and it is like a dream. Looks brand new, so if it is a refurb, they do good work.
    BUT...I now see they have a "Plus" for the same price as the non-plus, so maybe my buy wasn't such a good deal after all. What is the difference between the two?

And as long as I am here, is there a source for paper that is more economical than Festool?

Hi Wade.
    Did you get a tool you liked, at a price you were happy to pay? If so, I think you should stop fretting about what you could have bought and enjoy that great new tool!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post

And as long as I am here, is there a source for paper that is more economical than Festool?
    The Festool paper is more economical than you might think at first from initial cost...it lasts a long time, both because of its quality and because of the excellent dust extraction design that helps keep it clean. And in many cases, once you're done using it on the tool, the discs. whole or cut up, can still be used for incidental hand-sanding, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Klingspors has compatible H&L discs: http://www.woodworkingshop.com/categ...=5%22+X+9+HOLE

There's also Mirka Abranet which fits any hole sander pattern as it is a mesh abrasive: http://www.supergrit.com/ABRANETROLLS
    Abranet discs are considerably more expensive than the Festool ones but I think they're certainly the best out there.

Mestool sandpaper on Amazon.
    -Lud

I've been using the Abranet Mesh on my 125 and like it a lot. Lasts seemingly forever, but you should also get the interface pad to put between the Mesh and your sander pad. So, you end up with two mesh pads, which seems to cut down on the dust collection efficiency but is still very good.

Love the sander, for finish work.

About a year or so ago, Festool was selling the 125 for $99 - calling it the "Pro 5" or "LTD" or whatever.
    It was the 125.
    Here's how they described it vs the refurb you bought:

"The new Festool PRO 5 LTD sander, also known as the new ETS 125 REQ, offers many upgrades over its predecessor. Here are some of the details of those improvements:
    • More powerful 250W motor to improve material removal rates up to 25%
    • Included pad protector for sanding up close to adjacent surfaces
    • Bayonet-style locking dust port and optional reuseable dust bag
    • Improved ergonomics with reduced vibration and soft grip
    • The sanding performance and dust collection you expect from Festool

So, head on over to Festool Products to order your $99 Festool finish sander."

Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 02-10-2018 at 5:58 AM. Reason: explain dead links...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Yes to the interface pad and the mirka abranet. Also look for deals on autonet, it is cheaper as auto finishing guys dont way the costs woodworkers do and the autonet is only slightly thinner is about the only difference I see. In 50 packs ypu see the best value and greatest savings. I have had luck making offers to ebay sellers on mirka abra* paper in bulk when they liquidate commercial shops.