Thread: "Window" finally gone...

"Window" finally gone...

I've been meaning to actually remove a window on the back wall of my shop for a long time now. It's sorta been "embedded" in the wall for awhile, but unfortunately that meant an essentially un-insulated space surrounding a window AC unit. A couple months ago I put a "nice" cover on the outside...today I deal with actually ripping out the window parts, framing a 6" wall properly, insulating and covering it with wall material similar to what surrounds the area. It was a good way to spend the time waiting for glue to dry on a small commission.

I forgot a "before" photo, but here are two others; one from about mid-project and the other at the end of the work. As you might notice, I embedded a 4" diameter pipe to serve as a pathway for the required connections for a planned Mini-Split system installation that's going to happen "real soon now". I can already feel the difference in that area...no more drafts. And in about a week, the ceiling will be insulated, too...material is ordered.

IMG_0197.jpg IMG_0199.jpg

It's interesting how the walls have changed color since they were installed in about 2000. Yup...pine darkens. (that's "thin" T1-11 type material) Looks like a farmer's tan! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You bet pine darkens!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    You bet pine darkens!
    Yea, I felt this was a pretty visible illustration of that for those who might not realize it. Maybe I should paint a cartoon on that ghostly "picture frame"??
    --

I would put adjustable shelves in that space.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I would put adjustable shelves in that space.
    Maybe, but that's right where the CNC is going, so accessing things on shelves in that area would take effort. The inside unit for the Mini-Split will also be there, limiting space for shelving.

IMG_0203.jpg
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I embedded a 4" diameter pipe to serve as a pathway for the required connections for a planned Mini-Split system installation that's going to happen "real soon now".
    Jim,
    I’m looking forward to reading all about your Mimi-Split and how well it works. That’s something I’ve been saving for and hope to add in the near future. Thanks.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Might be good area to display some of the stuff that comes off the cnc.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    Jim,
    I’m looking forward to reading all about your Mimi-Split and how well it works. That’s something I’ve been saving for and hope to add in the near future. Thanks.
    Yes, I was intrigued by a thread here in Workshops by another member and once I looked into it further, I'm going to move ahead with it. Once the ceiling insulation is in place next week, things will be buttoned up pretty well and even the current Farenheat resistance unit will be less expensive to run, but the Mini-split at 20+ SEER (for cooling) is pretty darn efficient and provides both summer and winter benefits to me in my particular area. We don't usually get many days that are cold enough to be a problem for a heat pump and I'll still have the current unit there if it's needed for those few days. Given I'm "going for it" and working to monetize my shop at this point, rather than work part time at a super market or something in my "retirement" for a few years, I want it to be comfortable being in there essentially "full time". I personally mind the cold a lot in my joints and don't enjoy the high SE PA humidity either during some parts of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    Might be good area to display some of the stuff that comes off the cnc.
    Yea, I was thinking exactly that after I made my last post. It will be a nice place to display some of my initial efforts...at least the ones that, um...work out correctly. LOL
    --

For my minisplits you only need a 2" diameter hole so 2" pipe might have done it for you. Also make sure it slopes down a little to the outside for drainage just in case.
    Bill D

Yes, I know the actual space for the unit connections is smaller, but I used the larger piece (that I had from scrap) merely as a placeholder through the insulation. The outside is still completely closed except for a very small hole to easily locate the center. When the unit goes in, the exterior perforation will only be large enough to get things through and will easily be able to be sloped from the inside so the condensate drain has proper pitch. Embedding this simple piece of pipe in the wall just makes things easer to install and keep fully insulated.
    --

I figured it was piece of scrap you had. I did not realize it does not actually go outside. Looks much better then a old can nailed in place which is probably what I would have found kicking around.
    I did find out one summer that the tall cans of pineapple juice are 4" diameter and make nice couplings for 4" dust collector hose. My wife was embarrassed to see me in the grocery store with a tapemeasure checking out which canned goods to buy.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-12-2018 at 12:02 PM.

Yea, it's the full thickness of the wall but ends at the outer material...purely for convenience. And with 4" to play with, a nice slope for the goodies will be easy.
    --