Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How I make doors.

Thanks for taking the time to post,its nice to get a peak into how the pros do make their cabinets.

Nice! Shop is awesome, good show.

I kept track of my last batch of shaker doors, 33 doors took me 16 hrs, 45 minutes to finish stage. Only difference were 1" tenons, so a bit of time at the mortise machine, and solid wood flat panels. So you are kicking my............

Thank you for the demo and shop tour.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Blog Entries
    It varies for every shop.Biggest difference is whether you do it alone or have a helper...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Nice! Shop is awesome, good show.

I kept track of my last batch of shaker doors, 33 doors took me 16 hrs, 45 minutes to finish stage. Only difference were 1" tenons, so a bit of time at the mortise machine, and solid wood flat panels. So you are kicking my............
    Half hour. That's not bad.

If you start feeling sorry, just remember, I've got around a million bucks wrapped up in that operation. and climbing...

I'm curious how the moulder will affect things once it's up and running. Doing my sticking on it should help quite a bit. The shop I bought it from said it's real happy around 35 fpm for a feed rate. That scm shaper in the video is running at 20fpm and while delivering a very nice cut, is only hitting one edge are a time. One way to think of it, is the shaper runs at 10fpm. Basically a stick takes almost a minute to run both edges with my current setup. The moulder will be more than three times as fast as that. Assuming I can run at that 35fpm rate.

Face frames will be a similar story as I do all my S4S on that shaper as well.

The setup time on the moulder will be slightly more complicated, and that's a factor.

Another factor is whether I start getting material rough or not and using the moulder to hit the faces as well.

I would order skip planed stock, you can straight line one edge and then stick it in the moulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I would order skip planed stock, you can straight line one edge and then stick it in the moulder.
    Blanks for mouldings that's definitely the route to go. I'm not sure on S4S and door door sticking.

Right now, evacuating chips from the dust collector is another problem that needs tackling at the moment as well. Doing it manually with not much capacity currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Blanks for mouldings that's definitely the route to go. I'm not sure on S4S and door door sticking.

Right now, evacuating chips from the dust collector is another problem that needs tackling at the moment as well. Doing it manually with not much capacity currently.
    Yeah, you need a cyclone and a airlock and a transfer blower and, and, and..... lol

Going to get to the point you need a gang rip. You can flatten and straighten really well on a good moulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Going to get to the point you need a gang rip. You can flatten and straighten really well on a good moulder.
    A gang rip is a ways off, it'll be a while before that's a bottleneck.

I'm hoping I can get that Cantek dialed in to do just that.

I was kind of thinking you were cheating a little with that pre-planed frame stock. I average one door per day in batches of 6 to 10, but they are 3-0x6-8 and I start from rough sawn with glued up panels. That also includes jambs, stops, and mortising for three hinges on the door and the jamb. My shop is under $100,000.00 by a good bit too. My time is improving though as I just got a slider in December and used my shaper for the first time this past week (I was waiting on tooling). I'll knock an hour off the week in shaper setup alone going forward.

Martin or others, I am interested in what quantities you need to order before your suppliers will offer 2 sided planing or SLR options? Nobody ever returns my call here unless I ask for more than 1,000bdft. That does not fit in my storage container with all the other things. I chatted with Mark B one time and he orders his most of his stock that way. He has not used his planer much in quite a while, and that sounds sweet. Making blanks seems like too much time without the big machines.

Thanks for sharing this Martin, your shop looks great! Tidy and bright!
    One question though: if this door were in a run of doors would you let it sit after glueing before moving on to the finish prep?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Half hour. That's not bad.

If you start feeling sorry, just remember, I've got around a million bucks wrapped up in that operation. and climbing...
    You will probably drop that about 3-4 minutes in actual production when you are doing multiples.

Sweet machines. I really like that pneumatic clamping table.
    One question;
    How do the fasteners get hidden that were shot into the frame after glue up? Are they to be painted?

Cool video.
    Definitely some envy with respects to your machines.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)